PDA

View Full Version : should I drain the tank??

beatle
10-04-2004, 08:52 AM
Just wondering would it be advisable to drain the fuel out of your tank if your boat had not been used for some time? Ihave read the recent posts regarding the life of petrol and some say you should not leave the fuel in your tank for any longer than six weeks! What would be the best method of draining an underfloor tank?????-Beatle [smiley=beatnik.gif]

NQCairns
10-04-2004, 09:29 AM
Hi, One rough way is to take the motor fuel plug off and pump the primer bulb, slow going though.

I have used a cheap (around $10) manual oil pump from auto or tools/trade stores this makes fairly quick work of it, #one end down the filler hole and the other into a container, then finish off with the primer bulb. Mine was from supercheap.

Above this there are a fair few options with high volume but for a price, even drill operated pumps.

The only way to clean a tank properly is to get it out, if you are worried about water add 1 or 2% metho to your next fill. nq

smerl
15-04-2004, 09:11 AM
NQCairns,

What does the metho do if you have water in your tank?

Beatle,

I would only worry if the tank is full and you can't get any fresh fuel in. If the tank is 1/3 or less full I would probably fill the tank with fresh fuel and chance it. Depends on how old the stuff in there is though.

Cheers,

Smerl

NQCairns
15-04-2004, 12:47 PM
Hi Smerl, Fuel is hydrophobic and metho is hydroscopic so metho incorporates the water into it's structure. This allow it to be passed through the system without fouling. Although a more is better approach is not a good idea, just very small fractions, it is an oxegenate and in high fractions can damage your engine either running or sitting. nq