PDA

View Full Version : MinKota Problems

Jack_Lives_Here
13-04-2004, 06:42 AM
I've had a MinKota RT55AP for a few years now and only recently been experiencing problems.
The motor is taken offthe bow when towing and was functioning fine 2 weeks ago. I have power to the unit - it will rotate when the foot pedal is pressed but for all trying the prop just refuses to budge. The prop is free and not bound at all. At first I thought it was a low battery - have had this happen before. Changed to a new fully charged battery and same. Next I thought it might be dirty contacts inside the foot pedal - all seems fine.
Anyone else experienced similar problems &
Who can repair them???
Appreciate any advice.

TimNQ
13-04-2004, 08:04 AM
Maybe try taking the prop off and having a look at the shaft its connected to, it could be stripped or snapped. i have no clue though, just throwing around ideas
Tim

Brett_Finger
13-04-2004, 11:46 AM
Dave,
send it to BLA to get repaired with the other "million" ( made up number #;D) of them, sound sycinical,i should do after the massive amount of trouble i have had with them over the years.thay are a great product but i am haveing trouble staying posative about them :-/
hookin,Brett #:'(

Herbo
14-04-2004, 12:44 PM
Dave,

I have a RT65AP and there is a shear pin that goes through the shaft and locks into the prop. This pin engages the prop and will shear off if you hit anything with the prop. I done this just a week ago, ran into a snag. Maybe you have sheared the pin off?

Jack_Lives_Here
14-04-2004, 11:42 PM
Thanks fellas. Will drop down to BLA this morning. Had a few trouble free years out of it now but trouble is what I don't want. Heard some shocker stories also Brett.

Randall
15-04-2004, 07:27 AM
The problem will be a dry solder joint on the foot pedal printed circuit board I reckon. Have seen this prob arise with many Kota owners. (just ask Brett!! ;D)

BLA are your best bet Jack.

Randall.

BTW...I have a motorguide...never gives me trouble but they are hard to master...I`m going back to a Min even though they seem to be problematic!!

basserman
15-04-2004, 09:46 AM
i must admit i had a simalar problem with my bow mount tiller riptide i sent it back to minn kota they sayed they fixed it but the next outing i had the same problem

pulled it apart to see it i could see what was going wrong and all it turned out to be was the conections had worked lose and was falling off the plugs (inside) all i did was solder them onto the post and now i haven't had another problem ;D

but i have notaic that alot of small things seems to go wrong with the minn kotas

Zeeke
15-04-2004, 01:43 PM
Randall just wants a remote control on his MinnKota like MINE!

"Look Ma, NO FEET!"

I too reckon its either the foot control or the plug.. BLA should sort it out

Tim

Jack_Lives_Here
16-04-2004, 01:26 PM
Have played with a Motorguide - liked the quick directional response - only nearly ended in the drink a few times. Like the Auto pilot on the Min though - real handy and use this feature heaps.
Dropped it down to BLA. Dropped into Springwood marine and got a Motorguide and Min brochure. When i sell the Hornet - very shortly - I'll sell it with the electric and upgrade to a new one with the new rig. Just have to weigh up what is best for the type of fishing I do - want ot stay with 12v also.

team_mongo
16-04-2004, 04:16 PM
What boat r u going to get dave?

George

PS the longtail are around bribie, havent seen u out.