PDA

View Full Version : Gel/Flowcoat straight from tin?

NQCairns
11-04-2004, 04:11 PM
Is the standard white too bright straight from the tin for the floor and other inside parts of a boat esp in the summer sun?

Also and/or

Does anyone have a 'different' colour Gelcoat/Paint or Flowcoat inside their boat and they are particularly happy with it?

Would love to see a pic [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

cheers Nq

peterbo3
11-04-2004, 04:27 PM
White is bright. 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) Pale blue or very light grey seems to be the go.
Check a new boat outlet for popular interior colours in new hulls.
I have a blue interior with white on the C/C, etc

blaze
11-04-2004, 05:24 PM
Hi NQ
i did the inside of mine a light grey, the guy I got my supplies off said light grey was the way to go (he uses it in all his boats), so I asked him why, expexting a good scienctific answer
JUST BECAUSE I LIKE IT he replied. that was good enough for me & it does seem to go with any color
cheers
blaze

NQCairns
12-04-2004, 11:22 AM
Thanks Peter and Blaze, I guess white is out then, bummer white is easy, I will have to go chasing up other colours. I guess blue would be cooler than grey and grey easier on the eyes in direct light. Some shade of light purple might work too. I will have to colour chart it and mix some a colour that appeals to me.

25kg of high grade flowcoat is $225, Blaze I have around the same surface area (bit less) inside mine as you do how many litres do you think would cover all exposed inside surfaces on yours if it were a typical runabout?
No choice but to buy in bulk and part it out toward each job, the price of the stuff in 4L tins brings tears to my eyes.nq

SNELLY
12-04-2004, 04:30 PM
NQ,

You have seen mine and the colour is Naval Grey

Snelly

NQCairns
12-04-2004, 05:18 PM
Thanks Snelly, yours impressed me it did a real good job in what was trying conditions (was bloody hot and bright that day) :o.

Do you have any complaints with that colour after living with it? would you go a shade or two in another direction? More Blue or Grey mayby? darker or lighter even?. cheers nq

lordy
12-04-2004, 06:36 PM
Thanks Peter and Blaze, I guess white is out then, bummer white is easy, I will have to go chasing up other colours. I guess blue would be cooler than grey and grey easier on the eyes in direct light. Some shade of light purple might work too. I will have to colour chart it and mix some a colour that appeals to me.

25kg of high grade flowcoat is $225, Blaze I have around the same surface area (bit less) inside mine as you do how many litres do you think would cover all exposed inside surfaces on yours if it were a typical runabout?
No choice but to buy in bulk and part it out toward each job, the price of the stuff in 4L tins brings tears to my eyes.nq

I don't know for sure but for some reason I have 600ml per square metre stuck in my head.

blaze
12-04-2004, 06:53 PM
Cant recall will see if i can work it out , goes a long way though when applied with a roller, I used 3 coats
cheers
blaze

goodoo
13-04-2004, 11:06 AM
trying to find colours in flowcoat is a waste of time whoever sold it to you in the first place should be able to sell you pigment to make grey all you would need is about 200ml of black for your 4 liters mix it well and add colour gradualy to get what you want then add catilest and thin with acetone just before it is applied

Kerry
13-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Grey's the go #[smiley=2thumbsup.gif] but looks rather drab simply all#grey, needs a spot fleck flick over it, maybe a white fleck [smiley=cool2.gif] but at something to break the drabness and also hides "things" etc.

Not to sure about applying 3 coats though #??? and make dam sure where ever you buy it from it is actually flowcoat and not gelcoat (not waxed).

Cheers, Kerry.

SNELLY
13-04-2004, 03:28 PM
NQ,

For mine - No complaints about the colour or glare - does get little hot in very extreme conditions but all I do is put a couple of buckets of water over it and all is OK. As you know I have no canopy but heat would be a problem when it is still and no movement regardless of colour in full sun up here

But as previously mentioned you will need to fleck what ever colour you choose.

Snelly

NQCairns
13-04-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks for all the good advice, I will go with a grey and leave the headache of flowcoat alone and use a 2 pack at least then I can choose from a chart and get my colour mixed or matched over the counter :).

Is it a good idea to put a barrier layer of flowcoat down before the paint? it will be going onto a new fibreglass floor.nq

Thanks Snelly, yours was a custom job eh! Do you know what brand 2 pack was used? cheers

SNELLY
14-04-2004, 06:38 AM
NQ,

Mine is all flowcoat

Also as well as the fleck you should consider putting glass beads in the final coat for non slip

Snelly

NQCairns
14-04-2004, 03:04 PM
Thanks, actually Snelly your boat was the reason I decided to go 2 pac I was thinking "haven't these marine paints come a long way lately!". Now I know why I was so impressed.

It's back to the flow coat and all the extra bother needed to get it done. Yours has the miroballoons?nq

For anyone that is interested 1kg of white or black pigment is around $17 dollars and the same weight of some reds/oranges is $70 :o.

SNELLY
15-04-2004, 08:57 AM
NQ,

Not sure about the concept of Microbaloons

All I know is it is Flowcoat with glass beads in the final coat for grip

Thanks JON

nonibbles
17-04-2004, 07:07 AM
A fibreglassing friend of mine said they sometimes use sugar in the final coat. This dissolves giving a coarser finish than beads due to pitting effect. But I don't know anything about fibreglass myself