PDA

View Full Version : Using Outboard Tansom Brace When Travelling

Tezza985
17-04-2004, 06:10 PM
Just bought myself a new Boat with a 15hp Tohatsu. Is it nessessary to brace the motor at the transom when towing, and if so, do you brace with motor up, or down? "Haven't heard much on the subject!

Tezza.

basserman
17-04-2004, 06:30 PM
depends how much clearance the motor has when travleing
but if you can saftly travle around with the motor down and it doesn't bounce then there is really no need to have a brace
all the brace is there to to is stop movement on the engien and hence any stress to the transome
;D

Kev_McC
18-04-2004, 03:43 AM
I personally wouldn't go anywhere without the transom brace. The approach/departure angles will get you sooner or later unless your leg is well off the ground with a short shaft outboard. I reckon it's also a good idea to let the trailer take some of the weight of the motor, so the transom is not subjected to all of it during the inevitable bouncing on the road. Maybe it's not so important with smaller motors, but I like the peace of mind
cheers

paz
18-04-2004, 06:00 AM
i'd most defiantly brace the motor up,,if you think of it,,with a motor hanging just off the transom,,,as you go along it is moving,,bouncing,,and the extra leverage of the leg,,,well it comes all back to your transom,,,and within time,,this will cause the ass of the boat to crack out...not to mention the extra stress on the outboard(clamps etc)
paz

Tezza985
18-04-2004, 07:20 AM
Thanks everyone for the info. Going to use the brace on my next trip.

Tezza.