PDA

View Full Version : Oils ain't oils,,, or are they?

Cheech
19-04-2004, 03:02 PM
Yammalube
Castrol
Quicksilver
Mercury
Yadda
Yadda
Yadda

Have been using Yammalube since I bought my boat. Mostly just because someone told me it was probably the best. Usually get 4ltr containers, but the amount I use as I fish every weekend, I am thinking 20 ltr to save money.

Anyways,,,, Was at the boat shop today and the 4ltr Yammalube was about $34.00 as per normal, but they had Castrol in 20ltr for $99.00. This is nearly half price.

I do want good quality of what I put in. Even only use premium petrol. But half price is half price. (no they didn't have 20ltr Yamalube to compare price with).

So,,, what do you use and why. What do you use and why.

Is there really any difference amongst the big guys.

Actually,,, that is probably a whole different thread, but does anyone else use premium??? Had oil drip out of my engine once and my service guy said it could have been caused by ethanol additive. Considering I was stressing that I had a knackered motor, I quickly switched. But apart from that, as my motor is a bit undersize for my boat, any extra performance is worth it.

Cheech

Kerry
19-04-2004, 03:31 PM
It's not comparative comparing 4 litre containers to 20 litre drums, same as comparing 1 litre bottles to 4 litre containers isn't indicative of price also.

Fuel! your motor will have a manual with minimum octane ratings, stick to that as really that's all that matters. Most of this "perceived" increased performance from using PULP (when not warranted) is rather speculative and tends to be more mind over matter.

Cheers, Kerry.

Sportfish_5
19-04-2004, 04:10 PM
Last time I bought a 20lt tin of Yammalube it was $130.00. I did use castrol initially but decided to stay with OEM oil.

drevil
20-04-2004, 08:56 AM
I dunno about the premium fuel being mind over matter, Kerry. When I bought my boat I couldn't get more than 19 knots out of it at about 4000 RPM (Merc 100, approx 1990). The guy I bought it from said use lead replacement fuel.

I had it serviced which slightly improved the performance of it. I also asked the guy doing the service to set it so I can use ULP...he suggested that I also use high octane which made a huge difference in its performance.

I can now easily sit on 25 knots and it revs out to 4750 without sounding like it's about to jump off the transom. And the fuel ecomony's a lot better as well.

MY-TopEnder
20-04-2004, 09:06 AM
I know it sounds like a bit of a copout but just be careful if its still under warranty to. I know the dealer i bought my Yamaha from said that i MUST use Yamalube during the warranty period to keep up the warranty.

Kerry
20-04-2004, 11:44 AM
.... I can now easily sit on 25 knots and it revs out to 4750 ....

Do you know what the actual WOT rev range for that motor is? If it only revs out to 4750 I would imagine you've got more to worry about than fuel.

And as long as your happy putting PULP in it then that's fine.

Cheers, Kerry.

NQCairns
20-04-2004, 11:50 AM
Kerry's right, it will go bang regardless of what oil you use unless you get WOT higher. Somewhere in the range of 5500 to 5800 the US outboard gurus recommend with a typical load. nq

Big_Kev
20-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Doc you need more rpm from her when going flat out.
What size is the prop on the boat? :o
Cheech there is nothing wrong with the Castrol oil, the Yammalube is more than likely made by an Australian manufacturer and badged as Yammaha genuine. >:(
Topender that statement about only using Yammalube is not correct.
You are able to use any oil as long as it is in keeping with that as specified by the manufacturer. This information is in the owners manual. ;)
Cheers Kev.

banshee
20-04-2004, 03:26 PM
I had the premium/normal unleaded discusion on Saturday morning with the local Merc dealer/mechanic,I had just pulled the tank out,flushed it and was in there geting a new filter,his view mirrored Kerry's.I run an '02 115 standard 2 stroke,he stated that this motor was a low compresion unit designed to run on normal ULP,any benifit that I detected in runing premium would almost certainly be imagined.I run Quicksilver Premium Plus oil,I tried Mobil for a while in my previous motor but found the Quicksilver was less smokey and smelly out on the water.

MY-TopEnder
20-04-2004, 03:56 PM
Cheers Kev... i've been fed porkie pies by the bloody salesman then. He said i have to use Yamalube. Doesn't matter i have a 20L drum of it now anyway.

NQCairns
20-04-2004, 04:01 PM
TE How much was your 20L Yamalube? I might do the same also. cheers Nq

drevil
21-04-2004, 05:30 AM
Kev, according to the manual 4750 is at the lower end of WOT. I was pretty close to going flat out, but I suspect I could only extract another few hundred RPM's. I'll check it out this weekend.

Regarding premium ULP, are you guys suggesting that premium could actually hurt the motor? Os is it just I might be paying more money for no real benefit.

banshee
21-04-2004, 05:00 PM
G'day drevil,Running premium in a low compresion motor will not harm it,but running standard ULP in a high compresion could cause damage.

Lucky_Phill
21-04-2004, 05:07 PM
$99 isn't bad for Castrol.

I can sell ya 20ltrs of TCW3 Lubrico ( Australian ) for $70.

Phill ( oils is oils ) if the specs are right

Al_Macka
21-04-2004, 05:14 PM
# CHEECH.......
# # # # # I #really find the OIL topic , as personal PREF.... # # #
# #Owner`s manual states.......
# # If recommended engine oil is not available , another 2-stroke
# #engine oil with a NMMA-certified TC-W3 rating may b used....
# #I run a 2001 ( 130hp ) yamaha..
# #used only yamalube from day 1 .... 20lt`s @ $125....
# #CASTROL same rating & much cheaper...
# # #Personal # PREF #4 # SURE.......

# # AS #PER #FUEL #TOPIC....
#Great debate here !!!!!!!!!!!!!! by previous post`s....
# Only benifort`s #from PULP - Maybe #ezyer starting # OR #long
#period storage of fuel #in tank... as 4 more rev`s ......
# Please #explain ??????????? [smiley=wut.gif]

Cheech
22-04-2004, 03:28 PM
Sportfish_5, what is OEM?

The impression I get from the posts is that as long as it is TC-W3 then it is probably ok, and also get the impression that Yammalube is probably the best but the difference between this and th other big players is probably not much and to a degree comes down to personal preference. Some may smoke a bit more than others, but as far as effectiveness goes, they are all pretty good. Is that about right?

So for $99.00 for 20 ltrs, I should probably go for it.

NQCairns
22-04-2004, 05:06 PM
Lucky Phil so whos oil is it really? there is no Lubrico refinery in Aust? could it be Castrol, BP etc. Years ago I used to buy a refinery brand car engine oil for around 2/3 what the exact (from the same Vat and batch etc) same oil cost in a snazzy brand and bottle. Yours would be the same also huh?nq

drevil
23-04-2004, 04:18 AM
Just another point on oil...

My 100 Merc (1980) is oil injected, and the manual states "it is very important to use only 2 stroke oils that do not contain calcium sulfonate. #Calcium sulfonate has the potential of causing fuel to gel and plug oil injection screens. #Mercury Marine recommends only the use of Quicksilver 2 cycle oil with a blue, gray and black label."

I guess the point is check the manual on your boat motor and make an informed decision based on what the manufacturer recommends. #It's hard to make a general ruling otherwise.

Kerry
23-04-2004, 04:52 AM
Drevil, Being a 1980 motor one might imagine that things have changed quite a bit since then. Back then TCW2 had some issues and hence the new(er) specification of TCW3.

In 2004 does Quicksilver 2 cycle oil still come with a blue, gray and black label as one would imagine if they have changed the specifications (to TCW3) then they would have changed the lot.

As for 4750 max WOT and being the lower end then what's that make the max operation spec'd rev range 4500-5500 ??.

If that is the case then those max revs simply are way too low regardless considering the application. For mine I would want to see those revs at least over 5000 and more towards 5500 if not a bit over. Revs don't hurt 2S's but being overpropped certainly will. Speed is really (totally) irrelevant and not the guiding performance factor. # #

Regarding premium ULP, are you guys suggesting that premium could actually hurt the motor?

It can as many conventional 2S's are low compression and high octane fuels (PULP etc) burn differently to ULP.

Or is it just I might be paying more money for no real benefit. And this too.

Cheers, Kerry.

drevil
23-04-2004, 06:54 AM
Hi Kerry

I'm not too sure what the recommended WOT is, but I think it's about 5250 or 5500. #How can I tell if my motor is overpropped? #I have a spare prop that came with the boat and I suspect it was the original one. #

I haven't really revved it out to WOT much as I thought it might not be in the best interests of the motor, but it doesn't seem that way with 2 strokes. #I'll check it out (WOT rpm) this weekend.

Thanks for your help.

NQCairns
23-04-2004, 09:55 AM
Here is a jpg i found around the net ages ago, it shows the result of just one test TCW3 oils go through, this one is the cokeing test - oils are not oils I am sure all are TCW3 passed.
It should put pay at least a bit to those that solidly believe only original manufacturers oil are the ones to use and they are out to keep you engine running forever with no spare parts sales. ::)

Look at mercury and the superceeded omc oils :o. This is part of the reason I use yamalube for my other barand name engines atm, I cannot seem to find the 100% synth pennzoil in Aust it is not going to be imported by the new owners - Shell. :-[
Also Drevl if your exact engine is not propped to reach 5550 to 5800 (more prefered) with a typical heavey load it really does not matter which oil you use just pick the blackest test result and that is the internal condition of the engine.

drevil
23-04-2004, 09:57 AM
That doesn't sound good...

NQCairns
23-04-2004, 10:22 AM
Hi Drevil, only tring to scare you a little bit ;D IMHO if my engine could not pull 5200 I wouldn't even run it. The 4500 to 5500 the manufacturers state is mainly for assuming HP ratings as per regulation. Racer types will then buy knowing they can get more hp just by running higher it's all dealing with regulation first then marketing. Many people run your engine as high as 6500 - 6700 stock so 5800 is a walk in the park. nq

Kerry
24-04-2004, 11:09 AM
.... How can I tell if my motor is overpropped?

Won't rev to manufacturers spec and for me it's the top end of the spec to aim for.

I haven't really revved it out to WOT much as I thought it might not be in the best interests of the motor, but it doesn't seem that way with 2 strokes.

Running wide open all the time isn't something I would do either but once the prop is matched to the boat/motor then at normal cruising speeds the motor will perform the best.

Cheers, Kerry.

aido
24-04-2004, 12:00 PM
does anyone else use the valvoline tc-w3 oil ?
seems to work for me.

trevcob
25-04-2004, 03:39 PM
Mobil $75 for 20lt I run it in my 2LT 135 hp black Max good stuff.