PDA

View Full Version : polycraft stripes

phewy
29-04-2004, 06:42 PM
A question to any polycraft owners. What type/brand vinyl would you use for striping/graphics? Cant get anything to adhere properly. Or is there a secret in preparing? Thanks for any advice. Paul

gif
30-04-2004, 02:25 AM
I have asked Polycraft fo the official answer.

I just put some on last weekend and they have lasted so far ...

But I recall it was a job of

1. cleaning and drying the surface
2. Heating with a heat gun or hair dryer
3. a quick wipe
4. apply the sticker

Caution - get them right becuse they are then difficult to remove.

Gary

phewy
30-04-2004, 04:07 AM
Cheers Gary, should be the way to go. Been told by a pin striper that the thinner the vinyl the better quality it is????......Paul

DR
30-04-2004, 07:16 AM
thats true, the thinner the better quality. But on some surfaces the really good stuff does not stick real well, so expensive is not the best for all jobs. the quality basically means it will last a lot longer & not shrink in the elements. sometimes you need the intermediate or cheap stuff.
you need to experiment.
cheers

blaze
30-04-2004, 11:40 AM
hi
had no problems doing plastic motor bike tanks and side covers with calon 2, that is a top quality vinyl, seven year durabilty outside
I would think polly boats would be a simular subsrate
cheers
blaze

Brett_Finger
30-04-2004, 02:06 PM
Hi,
at Polycraft the methord used is to apply "shelite" to the hull with a rag,the with a flame ( i assume a heat gun would have the same affect) , lightly blow it across the hull and you will see the "shelite" evaporate,once this has happned.
let the boat sit for couple of minutes the apply the sinage.
Hookin,Brett :)

phewy
30-04-2004, 06:29 PM
Thanks guys for all the info, will experiment. Brett, what is shelite and where would i get it? Cheers Paul

FLATHEAD1
30-04-2004, 07:47 PM
Phewy

I just wiped mine down with metho. Let it thoroughly dry and applied the stickers. I had some made up by Scotchline?. They said they were marine grade vinyl.

They have been on for almost 12 months.

Did you pick your boat up from Golden Seal?

Where do you tend to fish?

FLATHEAD1

phewy
30-04-2004, 09:12 PM
Thanks heaps flatty. Yes picked it up from golden seal, 4 -6 months old, every thing we needed and saved about $3000 on new. All factory warrantys intact. Will be used in far east gippsland for estuary and river work. Cheers Paul

Randall
01-05-2004, 12:05 PM
The heat and Shellite work a treat but make sure you get the good quality sticker material. Steve from Ausfish had a whole section on the site dedicated to boat decals and signage. I know for a fact he uses the 7 yr stuff. He has supplied me with a few that are still goin strong.
All the ausfish stickers are made from it.

Randall.

aido
01-05-2004, 12:47 PM
shellite, flames and a plastic boat sounds like fun.
do you need to be carefull not to end up with a puddle
of molten plastic on the shed floor? :o

bay_firey
01-05-2004, 02:27 PM
Aido

My thoughts exactly ??

Shellite and Flame ????

Seems to do the trick though, Brett just wouldn't give us a bum steer ;D

Randall
01-05-2004, 07:18 PM
The shellite evaporates very fast taking with it any grease and grime. The heat expands the surface of the polyethylene and when a sticker is applied, the poly shrinks as it cools and draws the adhesive into it. If done correctly, they will last for yrs. Mine has lasted nearly 12months so far with not the slightest bit of peeling.

Go the polys!! ;D

Randall.