PDA

View Full Version : Trim/Tilt

stacer_seagull
07-05-2004, 11:06 AM
A quick Hi to everyone before i get into my prob, just joined up today and think this sight is a beauty... i Just bort a new boat,stacer 4.75 with a 70h/p evinrude on the back which has trim and tilt, my previous boat was a forward steering with no trim etc, i seem to be having trouble getting the trim and tilt right, after getting up on the plain i seem to get a roosters tail out the back of the motor,whish tells me i have it trimed to high, but when i move it down,the water splashes out from the fin, which the boat yard said is when you should trim it up.
Any advice on this would be much appreciated
Cheers

aido
07-05-2004, 11:33 AM
maybe the motor is mounted too high.
better check the installation instructions.

peterbo3
07-05-2004, 11:40 AM
Hi Nomad,
The more the merrier. I think you have heaps of grunt with that 70HP as it is. You may not need the foil. Or perhaps the motor could go down one more hole at the mounting bolts.
Is the rig brand new or have you or a previous owner been running it?
Maybe back to the dealer for some fine tuning :)

stacer_seagull
07-05-2004, 11:50 AM
cheers guys, i bort the boat 2nd hand,the whole rig is a 96 model and motor has done 300 hours, i dont think the motor is mounted to high as you can see that the motor is still on the original mounts and the foil looks like it has been on for a number of years. i was thinking the same about taking the foil off and see how she goes, i can always put it back on...

peterbo3
07-05-2004, 12:07 PM
Is it to do with weight? Did the previous owner keep a big esky or a spare fuel tank aft? Do you run it alone? With a used boat the load carried by the new operator will often have a lot to do with performance.

NQCairns
07-05-2004, 01:03 PM
Hi sounds like the motor is too low, after hole shot and before cruiseing speed also everyspeed above all aftermarket fins should be clearing or at worst skiming the top of the water every now and then. Raiseing the motor a hole or two will fix the problem and give you better fuel economy and speed than you have now, do one hole at a time then test.nq

Kerry
07-05-2004, 03:40 PM
So is that foil absolutely necessary or just an add-on for the sake of something to add-on ??

With a pod the motor can generally be higher than if it was conventionally mounted as in an outboard well.

So what's the relationship of the ventilation plate (normally incorrectly referred to as the cavitation plate) to the bottom of the hull. Normally this will be the bottom of the hull proper, forgetting the keel, which is possibly of a tapered design?

Also how far behind the transom is the front of the engine, which is basically the length of that half pod?

Cheers, Kerry.

stacer_seagull
08-05-2004, 05:52 AM
Thanx for all the info guys,Kerry, not to sure if the foil is necessary or not, it was on the boat when i bort it but i will check out those things that you all have suggested over the weekend and hopefully testing on sunday. keep up the good work
Cheers Nomad

NQCairns
08-05-2004, 07:44 AM
Yeah Kerry it looks like that pod doesn't extend the hull bottom I missed that first up, I understand the rule of thumb is 1inch for every foot of setback.
Nomad I suggest placing the fin somewhere you will not have to shift it again for a while and work on motor height, start with the cav plate 1 inch above the bottom of the hull you may need to go even another inch further to set it up. Some Cavitation/Ventilation on tight turns is OK and normal for some hulls.
Your boat is not underpowered so a fin will not be needed if you get the setup right. That boat will fly if you get it set. good luck nq

PS when you get to dealing with it all let us all know how you get on. [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

SeaHunt
08-05-2004, 11:07 AM
Yep try it without the foil till you get it setup and used to it.. Actually you usually need to trim up less with the foil on.. and trimming up too far with the foil on can be fairly dangerous turning or crossing a wake... :P