PDA

View Full Version : Know any good boat-handling websites?

seafarer
10-05-2004, 12:23 PM
I need to find some good websites that offer good boat handling techniques. If U know of any please reply. The following little story is why I need to learn more.

Thanks.

Last Friday night I was out on Botany Bay when a squall (I think thats what it was) hit suddenly, turning the bay into one great big washing machine in no time at all. I was up near the heads as well, so the swell was big to begin with.

I pulled up anchor and headed back for the river. My track back home put the waves at my 10 O'clock position, but I found that rough going (bit too much rolling) so I turned a little to hit them head on, knowing that I would soon have to turn back away from the swell to head in the right direction.
It seemed to take forever, it was dark and I wasn't too sure about the performance of the skipper and the boat either.
I wasn't sure how fast I should be travelling? At one point I slowed up too much, burying the bow into a wave (not good), so I then kept a speed and trim to keep the bow high which seemed to help. Got back in one piece.

It comes down to a lack of experience and knowledge, so I'm looking for some good general pointers?

Lesson learnt 1- I'll be checking the weather (BOM website) EVERY time before I head out.

Fed
10-05-2004, 01:10 PM
I was out there on Friday too but I was long gone before any squalls came up.
The Bay can get bad with very steep chop and it can happen very quickly too.
I can't help you with a website but it sounds like you're learning real fast.

NQCairns
10-05-2004, 06:42 PM
Hi just like Fed said, also I dont know any either sorry, as long as you have got the bow up and are traveling fast enough to pound some (not very much) into the next wave you are doing all need to stay afloat. A zig zag course can make it a bit more comfortable sometimes if the conditions allow. I think you did fine.
I once (actually more than once) had a 4.2m lowsided tinny out in very scary conditions, this time my buddy in a 5.5m Seafarer had enough and turned around, it took me another 15 minutes of nose up going nowhere travel into the waves before I could pick a spot that wouldnt sink me to change direction and get out of there. Sometimes it is just real slow going. nq

Heath
11-05-2004, 05:33 AM
No book or video can give you the teachings that you learned that night on the bay. Simple!

It is through experience & mistakes that you will learn from.

You beat me too it, about checking the weather. Also listening to the Coastguard or VMR might have helped as well.

whiteman
11-05-2004, 11:11 AM
http://www.safeboating.org.au/