PDA

View Full Version : pollycraft or fisher plate ???????

SNAFU
10-05-2004, 04:08 PM
thinking of getting rid of 4.2 sea-j and getting a softer dryer ride (getting too old).polly or plate ? will be used in moreton bay so ugly short sharp chop is problem. would like center console about 4.5m.mate has 4.8 fisher and it is real soft in nasty chop with 60 4 stroke yammie on back.will go to boat show in september but any info on ride,price comparison,value for money ect would be appreciated befor hand.will probably check out both brands befor show.
snafu. ;D

phewy
10-05-2004, 06:21 PM
go for the poly.... cant believe difference compared to alloy boats. Poly Upsides -- no maintenance, smoother ride, rock bouncing, unsinkable, no electrolysis and much cheaper..Poly downsides -- none as yet

HAZ
10-05-2004, 07:43 PM
I agree totally with Phewy !
Have had a 4.5m Polycraft centre consule for almost a year now and had my doubts at first, but they were short lived. 100 % happy ! Go the ' Tupperware Tinnie !!
Haz.

Glind
11-05-2004, 04:37 AM
Hi,
I have a 4.5 Fisher tiller and would suggest that if you want a boat to take the Moreton Bay chop, not get banged around and keep dry, then go the Fisher. Until you have been in one, don't knock 'em. The dry ride is unbeatable plus you get it custom made (as they all are) to whatever specs you like. There are no 2 Fishers the same. I have had mine for 3 years now and you would not get me in another boat for this part of the world. The best thing to do is give Col at Fisher a ring or email him to arrange a look at the factory and a ride. The construction will blow you away. That is my opinion anyway but the choice is yours. If you go Fisher, you won't be sorry.
Tim

RobK
11-05-2004, 05:33 AM
I was faced with this very question not to long ago. We ended up with the Poly centre console and have been very happy with the boat. They are very soft riding and keeping in mind it is a 4.5m boat very seaworthy.We are more than happy to take it out to Hutchies on a reasonablr forecast. I probably would prefer the Fisher for the customisation and the self draining deck and having been in a Fisher 4X4 and a 5.8 m they ride very well.

I don't believe you will be able to do the Fisher for any where near the price of the Polly.( I would be happy to stand corrected ) My only concern with the Polly is the standard of workmanship in regards to fitout by both the factory and the dealer (extreme marine ) which can be described as rough around the edges at best, nothing major just a lack of attention to detail. You won't have these problems with the Fisher. An example of you get what you pay for I suppose.

Regards

Rob

MICHAELG
11-05-2004, 07:28 AM
Snafu

I own a 4.8 tiller Fisher, cannot be happier. I have been caught out in the bay in some ugly stuff, you just learn the feel/what your comfortable with and come home( no worries). Pick a really bad day Then go out in a fisher, you will agree.
Due to the weight/design of the hull they handle some crappy conditions.
Being ablr to come up with your own internal layouts is great or changes down the track, just a matter of some weld work.
built like tanks- no probs with rock bars(cant say the same for the prop tho)
As for Pollys, cant really give a opion cause I dont know much them

Michael

Brett_Finger
11-05-2004, 02:37 PM
cannot falt the POLY!! ;D ;D ;D ;D ;D
hookin,Brett ;)

mackmauler
11-05-2004, 05:44 PM
Must be hard to find people that have seriously tested both, so ill offer ;D

flathead_fred
11-05-2004, 06:17 PM
email col and get him to send ya a cd rom in the mail (free of charge) that shows you all the fit out options of the boats and there prices, so you can formulate a hypothetical price, im lookin at gettin one of their new 430 hulls. i think it works out the same as a similar sized quinnie, or less dependin on how carried away u get with option, but it is custom and it is plate, sure would like to try out the poly but, there just so darn cheap ;D

The_Walrus
11-05-2004, 09:18 PM
You really have to try to have a ride in each in crappy conditions.

Then you need to decide on the level of customisation you want / are happy with given what you want to spend.

Luc