thanx blaze nice to feel wanted !

blaze
09-05-2004, 07:42 PM
these queenslanders aint such a bad mob
cheers
blaze

Cheech
10-05-2004, 07:17 AM
I think that boat is covered in a second hand boat book I got a year ago when in the market. I was considering similar. Is at work so will have a look and let you know.

Is that the 4.5m model or the 5.0m? I think that is the bigger one. I have been considering upgrading to a bigger boat as I have a 4.5m, but cannot afford it. I wonder if I may be better off getting one of those in really bad condition, strip it down. repaint, new motor etc. Would then have a really good boat for a good price.

Nothing wrong with Tassie, as long as you never want a sun tan! Have been there heaps and really like the place. Even circumnavigated it in a light plane stopping along the way. Took in King and Flinders Islands as well. That was really good.

Good luck on your boat searching.

Cheech

loozitt
11-05-2004, 06:24 AM
Tassipat,

My uncle owns a quinnie 5m cruiseabout. He has a new 90 evinrude on the back. He has owned it for about 15 years and loves it.

It has heaps of fishing room, as it is a runabout. (nowhere to sleep but) excellent for a bay. Seems to dance around alittle at rest, but which tinny doesn't.I have fished many times out of it and enjoyed the monouverabilty of it.

A good strong little boat.

There is acouple of books wich give write ups on them. I'll try and find the name and post it to you.

tassiepat
11-05-2004, 10:33 AM
thanx guys sounds like it is a good value and safe 5 meter boat

loozitt
11-05-2004, 10:54 AM
Tassiepat,

I just had a thought, mate. The cruiseabout is an aluminium boat with a fibreglass top. It is a runabout.

They also made the Sports Fisher, which is the same aluminium boat, but with a cuddy cabin style top. Much more room in the cabin.Might be a better option if your chasing some protection.

Are you looking at buying one, or do you own one?

Cheech
11-05-2004, 04:43 PM
Found the magazine.

Jeff Websters Top 100 Secondhand Trailerboats 2nd edition.

5.0m
2.15 beam
352 kg
15% deadrise
60 - 85 hp

Very good report writeup.

If you cannot get it then pm me your fax number.

Cheech

tassiepat
12-05-2004, 01:02 PM
cheech my fax is 0362349757
just mark it attention pat if you could that would be fantastic

thanx heaps

fishingrod
12-05-2004, 02:29 PM
I used to own the fishfinder 5m centre console version of the same boat with twin 40hp yammys. it was about a 1981 model

It wasnt a bad boat. We'd been in some rough and always got home. We had to do a bit of welding on splits and cracks but us and the prev owner used to give it a hard time. Heaps of fishing room. I heard the runabout goes a bit better as it has a fibreglass deck up front and the weight makes it go a bit better. You'd want 70hp unless u only carried light loads and then could go a bit smaller.

The older quintrex's were built pretty good. The welds are neater (im not starting any arguments!) and also some seems are continiously welded where on newer boats they are just welded every few inches

No complaints about the boat otherwise. Let me know if you want any specific info.

We've got a 5m cruise craft 'glass cabin now. Its better in the rough but has hardly any space....bummer
cheers
Rod

tassiepat
13-05-2004, 11:42 AM
cheech fax received with thanks will make good reading tonight as it is raining and cold as !!!!!!

Cheech
13-05-2004, 04:54 PM
No worries Pat. Always good to get a response as well. You would be surprised how many people ask things and once provided don't even bother sending a thanks post. There were a few other chapters on what to check for in boats and motors when buying second hand. Can fax them through as well if you like. Just let me know.

Cheech