PDA

View Full Version : Fibre glass experts( HOW TO)

dnej
13-05-2004, 10:59 AM
Bro has a Savage Pacific, with storage provision on either side of the motor well, like two rectangular buckets.
These need a lid to be made for each. If I make a mould from styrene, what is the process to make a glass lid with hinges .
What do I need? Is there a web site on same.
How do you achieve the smooth rounded edges.
Thanks David

NQCairns
13-05-2004, 11:16 AM
Hi at my place i am the resident fibreglass expert ::) so I will try. Polyester resin (the normal stuff boats are made out of) will melt the foam. If you need to use foam then use epoxy resin (expensive and very strong/stable). with my limited knowledge i would use formica (smooth) as the mould radiasing any corners with automotive putty because fibreglass hates sharp corners. Once the female mould is built you apply a wax/release agent layer then a layer of gelcoat, wait a while then start laying up you fibreglass and resin, 4 or 5 layers of 600 gram chopstrand would proably do. Of coarse you can go the whole hog with what you use to lay it up with.

lordy
13-05-2004, 11:35 AM
I've seen people use gladwrap as protective layer. the polyester doesn't seem to stick to it and the bits that do get stuck are easily sanded off.

peterbo3
13-05-2004, 12:07 PM
dnej,
suggest you make the lids out of 5 ply then cover them all over with mat & resin. Paint with flowcoat in a contrasting colour to save stuffing around with a colour match. Attach the lids using #SS hinges & shock cord fasteners.
Will be a lot cheaper & much easier than trying to lay up foam. Make a cardboard template of each hole first then jigsaw out your ply.

hoga
13-05-2004, 05:27 PM
you can also make them out of cutting board type stuff
hoga

Hagar
13-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Mate I agree with Hoga
Have a look at new boats and a lot use HDP ( high density poly) for hatch covers . Easy to shape and drill and looks pretty good too . Get to a plastics shop and tell them what you are after and let them recommend something . Much simpler than laying up fibreglass ( done heaps of that )

Chris