PDA

View Full Version : Tinny questions

rhysp3ct
13-05-2004, 05:59 AM
Hi all,
just wondering if anyone can give me a hand on maybe some websites or something that will give me some more info on what to look for when buying a second hand tinny.
Reason i ask is im new to boating, being a student the prices on boats usually put me off...but my uncle is sending me over a 15HP motor in september (same month i get my car license) and i was hoping to get a second hand boat that i could do up.
what would you reccomend for a youngen on a tight budget that has alot of spare time and elbow grease.
should i get a tinny, or fibreglass, or whatever other types there are...
and what do you reckon about buying second hand? any good tips i should know..
cheers
haynesy
(edit *subject*)

jimbamb
14-05-2004, 11:41 AM
Best advise I could offer would be to get someone with a bit of knowledge on boats to go with ya.
You need to watch out for cracks or splits in alum also corrosion.especially where its been sittin on a trailer.
Id reccomend aluminium because its lighter and much easier to handle escecially if you are by yourself.Depending on how u are goin to transport it,size from 3m to 3.8magain ask someone u know who has had some experience.
Be carefull some people will rip you off if they think u dont know much.Get all the info on a boat and post a message on here and get the advise of members.most on here will help if u are genuine.
Good luck!!!

rhysp3ct
14-05-2004, 11:54 AM
Gday jim, thanks a heap for you post, i was hoping it wouldnt go slipping through the many recent posts and go unanswered, as i would seriously have nowhere to go and no-one to ask after this forum.
Ive been having a fair dinkum big look on the internet for any info on tinnies and info about them, but i think im probably looking in the wrong direction or there isnt much info that is relevant to me on the net. Ill go down and have a geezer at my library and hopefully there will be something there.
any further help or advice will be greatly appreciated.
cheers
rhys

Big_Kev
14-05-2004, 04:16 PM
I am sure that there will be some guys here that will have a look at a boat for you if you need.
For the 15hp you will want about a 3.7mtr alloy.
The glass will be heavier and not as popular for resale in this size.
I have seen some good newish boats that were a little banged up go cheap, one of these will get you of the water safely and help with the budget constraints. Coat of cheap paint and it will look great.
Cheers Kev.