PDA

View Full Version : solas propgaurd

bazzthebarra
08-05-2004, 03:45 PM
Guys,
just wondering if anyone out there has fitted a solas propgaurd to their motor and if so how it performs??? Unfortunately i seem to find the bottom whereever ii go :o
cheers bazz.

subzero
11-05-2004, 01:40 PM
Gidday bazzthebarra, i asked a bloke at work today if he knew the answer to your question.
he belongs to the tellebudgerra S.L.S.C and all of their boats throughout aussy have these things fitted.
he is fairly new to S.L.S.C and is going to talk to a couple of their skippers about it tonight and get back to you through here in the next day or two.
cheers lloyd

CQ_Fisher
12-05-2004, 06:36 AM
Bazz, I hear you. If there is a rockbar somewhere i will find it. I have thought about prop guards too so am curious as to how they may alter the boats performance.

JD

subzero
12-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Gidday fellas, while I we are waiting for this bloke to get back to you all with the info, here is a site in the U.S that makes and sells them with a bit of info.
http://www.propguard.net/how.html
I have a couple of pics of the propguards from the Tellebudgerra S.L.S.C boats for you to look at. (As I understand it, they are the same make and type Nationally for the S.L.S.C)
I got one of the S.L.S.C members to grab me a couple of pics as we are looking at making one and putting it on each of the 2 smaller boats at VMR Vicky Point.
Kind Regards
Lloyd

subzero
12-05-2004, 01:35 PM
Quote taken from a S.L.S.C newsletter found at http://ducksaustralia.com/data/News7-270403.txt
with regards to the Pro-Pell props NOT being allowed to be used in their competitions because they wanted to DECREASE performance on their IRB's at competition level.

Quote "Guards - The only guards that will be permitted in competition will be
the Programmed Engineering version 2 and the Midcoast Marine version 4. Pro
Pell guards can continue to be used for patrol.

Again, the reasoning behind this one is to slow the boats down. A decision
taken we understand against advice from the national powercraft advisor
and the original SLSA Risk Management Enquiry Working Group recommendations.
The Pro-pell guard is the most efficient guard available and any speed
advantages it produces is secondary to the decreased cavitation and
better, more direct steering. Banning these guards in competition will be lucky
to slow craft one kph but will cost clubs a lot of money. It is our opinion
that this is a backward step by SLSA in equipment development and once
again the cost to clubs has been given no consideration. Interesting point
also is that Stainless Design Services, the manufacturers of Pro pell guards are
un-aware of any of this".
Hope this helps.

subzero
12-05-2004, 01:45 PM
Finally found the site for the crowd that makes these.
http://www.stainlessdesign.co.nz/

Mudcrab
13-05-2004, 04:46 AM
Nah, yer all wrong! (Gulp)
A prop guard says one thing i.e. you're not a good Boatie and don't know the where the bottem is! They all look like shit, are heavy and efficieny loss can be up to 15% no matter what the manufacturers says. Lash out and get a good stainless steel prop. On our 6.0 metre Gemini rescue vessel, we have had the same S/S prop for three years and if thirty odd crewmembers can't do it much harm after dredging all round the Bay, hitting "things" in the water, the ramps, mud, coral and rocks, then it has to be the way to go. They are fairly easy to repair with the help of an angle grinder or a file and off course "prop flutter" is reduced to zero thereby improving your performance by 10 - 15% and fuel as a consequence. Prop guards are designed for vessels that come into contact with people or marine life hence the lifesavers use them plus they can run their duckies up on the beach. S/S props? Don't leave home without 'em!

Zeeke
14-05-2004, 02:15 PM
i wanna know if they can be used in conjunction (thats a big word for me) with a stingray of sorts.. because in the kind of fishing i do, a prop guard would really help, especially when im scooting around the rivers chasing fish on lures and i dont really wanna stuff my motor or bust my prop hitting a submerged tree up some creek 30kms from the boat ramp

Tim

propdinger
15-05-2004, 05:08 AM
i think ineed one of these ....lol

jeff

nonibbles
15-05-2004, 06:35 AM
I wonder if everyone got together and put a bulk order through (could we use ausfish as the common handler, steve?) would the distributor lower the price? I'm not sure what the price is but I'm sure if they got a rush on sales they'd have the ability to cut it abit.

basserman
15-05-2004, 08:54 AM
i have seen a better one at a boating and four wheel show a few years back it was simaler to the one above but it didn't have the cage for the leg only the prop gard it was also said to improve the prop wash
never thought too much of it but i'm sure someone would now more
as i said it didn't have the cage only the prop gard the attached to the bottom of the cavatation plate via the anode ;D