PDA

View Full Version : Boat license... where do ya reckon?

rhysp3ct
15-05-2004, 08:28 AM
Well im thinking of doing a course to get my boat license. Was wondering how everyone else got their licenses, and what companies theyd reccomend... i was thinking of going the "australian boating college" because they have a course at the maritime museum in southbank, which is nice and close to me.
anyone got any advice?
cheers
rhys

basserman
15-05-2004, 08:49 AM
in nsw all ya need to do is get the free handbook study it and book in for the test ;D

rhysp3ct
15-05-2004, 10:14 AM
isnt qld the same basserman?... ??? i just figured i may aswell take a course and be safe...will keep the girlfriends parents quiet when i take her out on me cruiser "cough" yacht "cough" tinny. :)
rhys

MarcusD
15-05-2004, 10:37 AM
I went to Archies Training Centre at Breakfast Creek Wharf... highly recommend him.

Here's a list of all approved training providers:

http://www.msq.qld.gov.au/qt/msq.nsf/index/rec_training_providers

Zeeke
15-05-2004, 11:18 AM
i got the maritime book, read up all the rules and regs then got a private tester to come out and test me, all you need is a boat, the guy i used also let people hire out a boat and use a hire boat as a test boat.. cost $35 and it was a full on practical test.. no actual test papers to fill in, he tested me on navigation, docking, speed, distance judging when it comes to speed zones and speed around other boaters and also on rescue (picking up people who have fallen overboard) and took 3hrs on water

Tim
p.s. used my own boat in the test

Outsider
15-05-2004, 02:34 PM
Missus and I did the day and a half course at Allstate Boat Licensing late last year. Its held at the Manly VMR. Cost about $120.

We found it to be informative and delivered in a way that made it easy for us to relate to the "real world", having little boating experience.

Would recommend attending a course like this - covered topics I hadn't even considered.

joeT
15-05-2004, 03:32 PM
I did the course at Australian Boating College at Southbank and it was good. You spend the first part of the day with theory and then go out in their boat later in the day. Cost about $120 if I remember.

Sportfish_5
15-05-2004, 05:59 PM
Haynesy - any of the guys doing the courses will be good as long as the have RTO status. If you are relatively new to Boating then the course will be an excellent option for you and well worth the money.

See ya on the water #;D

Greg

rhysp3ct
16-05-2004, 03:30 AM
Thanks everyone for your replies. Ill end up doing a course, as i think i would probably benefit from it a fair bit, and they teach you stuff that isnt 100% relevant to only getting your test...like checking motors and so on...so i reckon it would be a more full on learning experience, and i guess if im gonna stick the money out then i may aswell go full out and get some training.
See you all on the water... :) :) :lol
thanks again for your replies
haynesy

MY-TopEnder
16-05-2004, 01:18 PM
Archies is where i did mine... they're a no bullshit training centre that cuts all the crap out and gets to what you need to know. Archie himself is a VERY experienced, and very clever man. It was definately money well spent.

I couldn't recomend him strongly enough.