PDA

View Full Version : Dual batteries or stay single?

FishFinger1977
10-05-2004, 03:33 PM
Hi all I have had the same battery in since new (century marine pro 500) 4.5 years and only have ever had to charge it once as I left the ignition on Doh! How long does a battery last before replacement is needed? as I now run a lot of electronics some at rest like anchor light, fishing lights, GPS, bait pump/deck wash and sometimes the sounder. I have never had a problem but a lot of mates run dual batteries which is sensible I think as there is no racq out where I go.

Does anyone have an opinion on whether it is a good safety thing to have and if so can anyone recommend a good person to carry out the electrical work as I am a bit of a novice when it comes to setting up a dual battery system. I guess the main reason is when I was drinking with a couple of mates we tried to manually start the motor johno 70hp and let me just say lucky we were on land and the battery was fine. Comments?

davo189
10-05-2004, 06:24 PM
2 is always better than one - especially if you are doing overniters - you can run your lights etc off one battery while at rest overnight and be assuered that you still have the main battery to start her up the next morning.

The key is having the batteries correctly wired up with a proper battery management switch - both off, #1 on, #2 on or both on. Contour is a good brand of switch (around $80.)

Most boat/marine yards can set it up for you or see the guys at AAA Batteries at Albion.

Hagar
11-05-2004, 10:44 AM
G'day Fishfinger
4.5 years ? I would be retiring that one or using it in a vehicle till it dies . Twin batts are the go . My haines is short on space at the transom so I have a separate smaller batt. up forward which I use to run all accessories . Both can be switched to the accessories circiut . The small one will crank the motor if it has to but has to be relocated to the back- but hey how many times will that happen .
Chris

CQ_Fisher
11-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Fishfinger,

I understand your concern. I too only have a single battery and the same as you while sitting around having a few beers decided to try and use the emergency pull start on my 2002 Yammie 60 4 stroke. I simply could not get it to start with the pissy little bit of rope that you get with it. I can only say that i'm glad i found out how hard it was to start manually while in my backyard and not somewhere else.

JD

Lucky_Phill
11-05-2004, 01:48 PM
dual batteries in any boat that runs overnighters is a must for me.

easy to set up, and just really gives you that peace of mind.

4.5 years, pension it off before it dies !

Cheers Phill

Cheech
11-05-2004, 04:31 PM
I have been considering duel batteries for ages. Already bought the 1, 2 or both switch. Just need to get around to wiring it as I have an old spare. Maybe that is something you can do with your old battery insead of buying 2 new ones. But if you do that I would keep a close eye on the old one.

I also tried to pull start start my motor without success and mine is much smaller. Found out that there is a choke switch actually at the motor under the cowling. Have a look for it and see if that makes any difference to the starting. Apparently the normal choke is electric (at least on mine) and does nothing on a pull start.

Cheech

Lucky_Phill
11-05-2004, 04:58 PM
that 1,2 both switch is called an # Isolator.

anyway, I wouldn't even consider using an old battery, #every 2 years mine go out the door, no questions.

2 reasons, #first, I use car batteries( N70ZZ 13 plate 600cca ), and second, I go offshore a lot and run Video sounder, Gps, radios, lights, live bait tank, etc etc etc.

And now having a 4 stroke that pumps out 45 amps @5,000rpm, they are never drained after a trip. #as opposed to a rectifier.

Phill

aido
11-05-2004, 05:05 PM
are you guys turning the ignition on before
attempting to pull start the motor.
trying to be helpfull, not funny... ::)
aido.

NQCairns
12-05-2004, 04:32 AM
Without doubt stay single!!!!.... Back to batterys - go double buckets loads of peace of mind. I really dislike feeling as if I should be ready for any problem when out having fun.

Just for interest my perco twin battery switch on the 4wd needs to be worked through all the selections 5 or so times with the ignition off every now and then to keep a good circuit . I had low starter motor amp draw problems when trying to start on only one battery until I worked it out.nq

Mudcrab
13-05-2004, 05:15 AM
Geez, if everybody goes for dual batteries, then we will have to more rescues to do on a weekend! They are our bread and butter! (read between the lines!)

dnej
13-05-2004, 10:52 AM
As a red headed lady once said " PLease explain" mr VMR

XLR8
18-05-2004, 06:56 PM
I have a dual battery setup and I also run a 60hp 4 stroke Yammy.
One battery is the starting type and the other is a deep cycle (Trojon 100amp/hrs)
I run these through a 3 position isolator ie 1/2 or ALL
My motor is connected to the Starting Battery and Electronics/lights/GPS/bait tank is powered off the deep cycle.
This setup is approx 2 1/2 years old and it hasn't missed a beat and I do periodic maintenance with a quick water level check as well as battery voltage. I run my isolator in the all position so both batteries are getting charged when driving and on the overnighters switch to the deepcycle.

I also have hand started the donk with the rope.
On a cold start I push the throttle forward and back twice quite fast. This gets the accelerator pump squirting fuel into the manifold, I dont use the manual choke if I have given the fuel system a good prime with the fuel bulb. With the rope I spin the flywheel around slowly until it gets harder to pull, this is where I reckon the motor is starting a compression stroke.
I stop and rewind the rope around the flywheel again.
The start of the next pull is quite hard as your fighting a compression stroke so I generally give it a hard but constant yank until it starts.
In my previous job it was very important to be conversant with emergency procedures, so I tend to have a pretty solid game plan for varying emergency situations that may arise.
I am definetly a inexperienced boaty, but having a fair idea of the types of shit can happen has allowed me venture that little further a field gaining confidence in my rig each time.

I reckon go dual batteries, it takes that little bit of doubt out of you mind when your heading to the 50 fathoms for a good days fishing.