PDA

View Full Version : VRO vs Premixing Oil (OMC)

whichway
18-05-2004, 02:10 PM
An outboard mechanic has advised that I get the VRO disabled from a 99 Johnson 175 and premix the oil instead. Apparently the VRO can fail leading to motor damage through loss of oil and without the VRO it will idle better anyway. Any ideas?

peterbo3
18-05-2004, 04:04 PM
Hi Whichway,
If you are going to run premix then 50 to 1 is the standard. This keeps everything lubed at WOT or high cruise but at idle your engine needs a mix of 90/100 to 1.
The VRO caters to this need.
I am not going to bag the VRO system because I have had no dramas with Johnson or Mariner oil mix systems but they are only machinery & they may fail. Regular inspection & service is the key to long life.
So back to engines at idle. You will get fouled plugs which may require you to remove same & clean at sea to get going.
This is an extreme case but 30 min at troll speed will foul them. I would be asking the mech a little bit more about his theory that premix gives a better idle.

bigbrian47
19-05-2004, 03:04 AM
g'day whichway
i disabled mine a few months ago @ use 50/1 as pete said trolling can cause fouling but give her a squirt every so often
@ you wont have any drama
the problem with mine after about 250hrs it started to blow excessive smoke (better than none) i could have replaced the diaphram but decided to disable instead it's a simple job but i was quoted around $300 from one place in brisbane cost $50
including @ decarb where i got it done
cheers brian

NQCairns
19-05-2004, 04:09 AM
Whichway if you do decide to go premix try to ensure you mix the oil well with some fuel before pouring, dont just pour your oil into the full tank and rely on the trip from home to the ramp to do the job, I suspect i may be suffering the consequences a #bit at the moment from being a too easy going on this point.
At least with premix you only have yourself to blame if a lubrication drama rears it's head.nq

dnej
19-05-2004, 05:38 AM
Ever heard of plugs fouling when you throttle back from high speed, to low speed?
Would like to know those who have experienced same.
David

whichway
19-05-2004, 08:29 AM
Big Brian
Can you tell me who did it for $50? ;D
Whichway

bigbrian47
19-05-2004, 03:02 PM
mate check your pms brian

bubble
19-05-2004, 03:03 PM
Whichway, I take it the mechanic who told you this was an Authorized Johnson and Evinrude Dealer. There are thousands of these VRO units out there and I would hazard that they have done millions of hours. Why change when it ain't broken? You appear to have had 5 years now with no drama.

Bubble.