PDA

View Full Version : Oziexplorer question

whiteman
18-05-2004, 07:11 AM
Using Oziexplorer I would like to convert a "track" to a "route" to download into my Garmin 12 and I don't know how to do this simply. Any ideas?

I want this feature so I can store safe routes captured during daylight hours for night use.

Kerry
18-05-2004, 09:10 AM
Not exactly practical to directly convert a "track" to a "route" without some refinement to the "track" coordinates as "routes" are made up of waypoints and tracks are a sequential series of coordinates and in most cases exceed waypoint storage capability.

It can be done but one would have to filter the "track" coordinates based on either distance and/or change in direction, turn the resulting coordinates into waypoints, store these waypoints as well as creating a route, which specifically links these waypoints.

One would have thought you would have to download your track/s, using Ozi create waypoints on the screen/map that best relate to the track then use the Route editor and then upload the waypoint/routes etc. Lot of fiddling really.

I got a question but ??? Are so called safe routes captured (GPS wise) during daylight hours actually safe for night use?

Cheers, Kerry.

whiteman
20-05-2004, 06:43 AM
Kerry

I have used the method you describe to create routes from tracks and it is very fiddly. I was hoping for something easy like a single-click function to convert the track to a route - seems like something useful to me.

To answer your question: launching from areas where there are no navigational/ambient lights (this is NQ - not SE Qld where money is spent) all I have is the moon (sometimes), a hand-held spotty and GPS readings taken in daylight hours. If I launched the boat and the GPS route for the creek does not match my current position, I'd obviously not use the GPS. This, to date, has not happened.

Fishing at night has a lot of inherent dangers over daylight hours. The GPS reduces the risk somewhat. I've read your posts regarding the danger of relying on the GPS so this is in the back of my mind when driving blind - and this is one of the reasons why I'm still not a committed night fisherman.

Heath
20-05-2004, 09:53 AM
As far as I know the only way would be to import your track into Ozi. Zoom right in on it & then create waypoints along the track using the position waypoint button. Once you have the waypoints then creat a route with them.

Kerry
20-05-2004, 10:42 AM
There are routines that do this type of filtering based on distance and/or deflection but unfortuenately the software doesn't come cheap.

In any case the filtering is the easy part and really still might require some manual editing especially to knock out surplus points. Basically a nice relatively straight track of joining sections will produce a much better end result with little manual editing than say a wonky run track where any software routines simply leaves way too many waypoints.

Also nothing is ever standard and getting output from GPS to some of these systems and back again requires a computer/programming degree.

Really sometimes the easist way is to run the course, marking/saving appropriate waypoints then creating the route in the GPS latter.

Or plot the track and "mentally bulldoze" waypoints and hence a route over the top that basically follows the required course, knocking out the humps and hollows. This way if something might look like it needs a little bit more safe leeway then one gets to make that decision.

Cheers, Kerry.
# #