PDA

View Full Version : portable transducers

MAHI_MAHI
19-05-2004, 05:22 PM
To prevent theft , and to safeguard the transducer during travel, how many ppl utilize a portable suction mount , for their valuable transducer.../has anyone come across a suction cup assembly from some other source /application , to use for this specific marine application?

gif
20-05-2004, 04:14 AM
I have a simpler solution.

I mount the transducer inside the hull.

squeeze a huge amount of silicone ( Selleys all clear) into the right spot make sure there are no bubbles then gently bury the transducer and close the hatch

Should mean no damage ever as well. Some recommend using epoxy, and some in-hull kits come with an epoxy (Araldite) kit - but the silicone is not so permanent and has some vibration absorbtion.

Long story - the Furuno technical people tested my fitout against a transom mount, and found no discernable loss of definition.

It may vary with other brands - but the powerful little Furuno 4100 had no trouble with the Polycraft hull.

Of course I lose the temperature function ( just reads the hull temp not water temp)

Gary

cheno
20-05-2004, 11:47 AM
Gary,

Whereabouts did you mount that transducer exactly.

What polycraft did you get? I'm still trying to work out my access to the bottom skin on my 455cc.

MAHI_MAHI
20-05-2004, 12:43 PM
Gary, as I am planning on shipping a craft to the far north , a portable transom mount seemed logical, as once there , the opportunity for theft becomes a possibility .

I was looking at removing all theft- likely items to a secure zone , ...and that meant the transducer as well.

Eagle make a grest portable for $9.95 US.....but it was a little hard to get from my supplier.thanks for respondo

gif
20-05-2004, 12:55 PM
I put the transducer in the lowest point possible - as rear as possible - bearing in mind what turbulence may be generated. I’ll put out some photos soon.

You can always do some testing - by putting the transducer in a bag of water - tied up at the top and just try different positions around the boat and different speeds.

Shooting through the Polly hull is no problem (well not for my 300w Furuno) The only problem is turbulence. Hulls are wings and get air under them ( on purpose) - yet under the transducer you want the part of the hull that has no air or bubbles underneath.

Access to the rear? I helped fit out one 4.55 - and we put in those round inspection hatches - with a screw in lid. I have seen this on factory boats – so I guess there is no warrantee problem there. Even so there is a long stretch to get your arm down the back.

Best you make friends with some guy who looks like an Orang-utan.

I have seen some 4.55 ‘s that one Polycraft dealer puts small access hatches (rectangular, hinged) on both of the rear pods. So you open them standing at the back of the boat. This gives great access - but its still a stretch reaching the floor, and always some potential of voiding the warrantee, by cutting such holes near the Transom.

The Polycraft guys are really “fair” when it comes to warrantee - not lawyers. So if you put those hatches on the back – and then there was a problem at the front I guess they would cover it. But a fault in the same area as the hatches? they probably would not pay up - even so, knowing how they dealt with others in the past they would likely help you out with advice and maybe getting you some colour matched plastic. Theyre good guys like that.

PM me with you phone number if you want to chat over fitting out issues.

Gary