PDA

View Full Version : Twin battery setup

adriancorrea
12-05-2004, 03:27 PM
Hi all
Im just in the process of changing mt batteries to the front of the boat, Now my problem is the correct way to do this, [smiley=help.gif] The wiring that is.

Yes I already had this set up in my boat before I started stuffing around with it. (Thanks Stevedemon)
But just before I did I was at the marine shop and the guy there said that next time we will do the wiring on the batteries, dont know if they were wrong or what???

Im a dummy when it comes to electronics [smiley=hammer.gif] [smiley=wut.gif]

Any advice or mud maps would be appreciated
Thanks in advance

Tight Lines
Adrian

Lucky_Phill
12-05-2004, 04:22 PM
Why would you want your batteries at the front of the boat ?

That's my first Q. Adrian ?

Phill

adriancorrea
12-05-2004, 04:27 PM
Trying to get abit of weight up front
Shes taking an awful long time to get on the plain and I need some more room

Tight Lines
Adrian

Lucky_Phill
12-05-2004, 04:48 PM
Weight up front will not get you on the plane any quicker or easier.

More room ! Don't know how your boat is configured, so had=rd to say, but I would be leaving the batteries at the rear, and maybe making a solid cover for them, something you can stand on, or place an esky on.

The only thing you'll get from putting the batteries at the front of the boat, is short life batteries. Even ' marine ' batteries will not stand up to the pounding that comes from being at the bow of a boat.

I'll pop around one day soon, and have a decko, should be able to work something out. give me a call !

Phill

adriancorrea
12-05-2004, 05:07 PM
Sure no prob Phil
Thanks, I got the next two days off and will be at home if you wanna come around.
That was the other question was about how they would go up front.
Give me a call tonight or tomorrow on 0402 797 454

Tight Lines
Adrian

NQCairns
13-05-2004, 04:15 AM
Here is a link to some diagrams #http://www.perko.com/diagram.htm

Mudcrab
13-05-2004, 04:36 AM
If you want to get on the plane quicker, fit a foil to your cavitation plate. Stingray is a popular model but there are others out there - but don't buy the "split" version, get the full single piece wrap around one. They are absolutely brilliant and you will get out of the hole much faster. Also, do you have the right prop on your boat? You may need a larger pitch prop that will cause you too lose a few knots but again will assist in getting onto the plane much quicker. And thirdly, do you have the adjustment bar under the leg as far in as possible? There are several adjustment holes with a locking bar across them, try the set as close to the transom as possible. Fourthly, get a stainless steel prop, efficiency can imptove by up to 10 - 2-% on some boat.

adriancorrea
14-05-2004, 07:45 PM
Thanks Guys
I will look into getting a foil and get the prop looked at aswell.

Tight Lines
Adrian

familyman
24-05-2004, 05:56 PM
Dont forget that if you move 40 kilos of dual battery setup from the stern to the bow then you added 80 kilos to the drawbar weight because of the loss of the counterweight effect .I have recently done this to my 4.7m glass half cab ,went to move it and thought it to be stuck to the ground !

MTpockets
24-05-2004, 06:25 PM
I used to own an old savage lake boat with a fairly vertical transum and the old girl would porpise and take ages to level. Because I had an old Evinrude 70 without trim / tilt I had no way to get the prop further under the transum. I went to Downes marine and they sold me alloy wedges to kick the mounts out 2" therefore putting the prop under more. That allowed the front to plough a bit more and reduce the porpise as well. Not suggesting your setup is like mine but thats another alternative if the foil isnt enough.
cheers
Les