PDA

View Full Version : Speaking of Polycraft Fuelling problems...

GBC
19-05-2004, 05:56 AM
My poly (455 c/c) was one of the last built with the 70 litre ally fuel tank prior to the plastic one. It is a right b*&ch to fill as the breather line spits fuel at me while filling. Also, seems to suffer from massive fuel expansion/air lock problem where fuel cap leaks fuel over the transom which has stained it :-/ not happy. Has anyone else had this problem, or is it a one off that I should be informing the factory about?

s-pac
19-05-2004, 04:35 PM
I have a jbs and does same thing. When refueling I try to have fuel tank level with ground. After filling up do not tighten fuel cap up until night before you go fishing. Has solved my problem. I now how it feels , new boat it should not happen. It is not such an uncommon occurance so I've been told.

Regards Andrew

Racegun
23-05-2004, 11:11 AM
Hi , i have one of the later aluminium tanks which has the breather tube attatched to the front of the tank and exiting through the filler tube , same as yours im pretty sure . I think if i remember rightly the new poly tank has a breather front and rear of the tank to help .
Mine does not spit back on me but i fill it slowly just in case and i never fill it to the top, so it doesnt slosh out of the breather i try to keep an eye on the amount of litres im putting in.
Now knowing how much is in the tank is a bother. I got a screw on aluminium cap type front floor filler installed before i picked the boat up . Now i can dip the tank with a calibrated piece of broom handle anytime i want. I usually do it at home and use the transom filler for covenience , but it is nice to know i can dip it whenever i want.
I also sometimes drain the tank and put it in my car , mower ,etc before i go fishing , especially if its been a while , i usually undo the fuel hose off the filter , put a plug in it and poke it through the bung hole , then fill a few jerry cans .
Hope this helps.

GBC
25-05-2004, 08:54 AM
Thanks all,

Hear you loud and clear about the no fuel guage. I can get the best part of 100 nm out of the tank and carry a 10 litre Hail Mary just in case, so most days out aren't a problem.
Anyone know how to get unleaded stains out of poly?
Cheers,
GBC

bay_firey
25-05-2004, 10:45 AM
Welcom aboard racegun
The poly tanks have 2 breathers, 1 at each end, 1 vents through the filler and the other vents through the hull mith a fitting just below the filler

cheno
25-05-2004, 10:45 AM
GBC have you tried degreaser fo the stains??