PDA

View Full Version : 30HP Yamaha or Tohatsu ??

HAZ
24-05-2004, 06:52 PM
Hi Guys,
My father in-law is looking at buying a new 2 stroke 30HP (tiller steer) to push his Alleycraft 4.1m tinnie. He has narrowed it down to either a Yamaha or a Tohatsu. Any feedback good or bad on either motors will be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks,
HAZ. [smiley=help.gif]

MTpockets
24-05-2004, 07:07 PM
I bought my new 30hp yammie almost a year ago and think its the absolute bee's knees. My boat is a 4.7 mtr stessel and it boogies along very well indeed. Yamaha have a good reputation and when it came time for me to choose between the Evinrude or the yamaha, I chose Yamaha simply because of price, and I know they are a really good motor. All my friends own them, and swear by them. My nephew owns a Evinrude and wants to replace his with a Yamaha as well.
One thing I like with mine is the 100-1 oil ratio, nice technology.
My opinion is ... go yammie.:)
cheers
Les

last-cast
24-05-2004, 07:47 PM
I have a 25 yamaha 2 stroke on my 4.1 quintrex ,it goes pretty good but I think a 30 would be better. As far as brands go I think yamaha and tohatsu are probably both good motors, different points for both the yamaha may have a few more bells and whistles but tohatsu is more simple which is sometimes better. Nearly all modern outboard engines will be good to you as long as you look after them a bit .

savagetin
25-05-2004, 01:36 AM
I had a 30 tohatsu on a 4.3M savage tinny for nearly 10 years, never had any problems with it. My brother had a 25 yamaha on his 4M quintrex, although no problems, it could not match the ease of starting, fuel economy or performance of my tohatsu. He has since bought a new savage cc with a 40 tohatsu and a 9.9 tohatsu for his V nose punt and swears he would not buy any other brand again.
Tony

cheno
25-05-2004, 05:17 AM
I have just been faced with this particular decision (tohatsu or yammie) over the past week although in a different size class of engine (60hp).

In this particular size range the Tohatsu has two cylinders and the Yammy has three. The tohastu 30hp is a very light and gutsy simple outboard that will be very reliable and most likely cheaper than the yammy. However, if you intend to do a lot of work at idle and slow trolling speeds, you simply cannot beat the 3 cylinder 30hp Yammy in this particular size class.

I often fish with a friend who has the 30 yammy and for a two stroke it is an incredibly smooth engine and is great for slow trolling. If you want to drive from point A to point B and then stop and fish the Tohatsu will be great and you can save some cash.

Dillon
26-05-2004, 06:16 AM
I agree with cheno about the tohatsu motors not liking trolling as there plugs oil up, but all i do is give it a quick (2-3 secs) Rev
(to about 2000-2500) and it is fine.
my tohatsu is a 40 on a 4.7m c/c and it will pull 3 wakeborders noprob. it starts first time every time and is very fuel friendly
if u can afford it go for the efi moddles as they rock!
if u live any where near me u could always come have a test drive?
I'm at buderim Qld

Cheers,
Dillon

cHiCo
26-05-2004, 07:38 AM
Les, you got a 30hp pushing a 4.7m rig. Thought that would be a bit small or is that what its rated to?? How does she go, what speeds can you reach in it.

MTpockets
26-05-2004, 10:20 AM
To be honest, I think 4.7 should be 4 meters. I just checked my rego papers and it is regestered as 4 meters. On the sales reciept it said 4.7 or 4.5 not sure. Ya got me thinking so I checked.
And yes, when I bought the boat and went to buy the motor the guy was also the local Stessel retailer and he told me she was only rated at 30hp.
The 30 picks her up onto the plane very quickly, and pushes her along at a very healthy rate of knots.
Yep, she rox for a 30.

cheers
Les