PDA

View Full Version : big sharks /small boats

runamuk
22-03-2004, 06:50 AM
who out there fishes for big sharks out of small boats off sydney to port stephens. hows the boat set up and how do you drag them on board. what size and make of boat do you fish from.any photos would be great..

snappa
22-03-2004, 04:46 PM
runamuk

not sure on small boats but i could set you on the right set up for
BIG SHARKS and 4 wheel drives on fraser island ;D :-X

jeffo
23-03-2004, 02:43 AM
::) ;D ;D roflmao
why drag them on board? cut em loose and let them go! ???

runamuk
25-03-2004, 03:05 PM
Im guessing your a tag n release man , hey each to their own, if i fight a 400kg tiger shark for 6 hours there's no way im letting it go.We dont kill all fish only selected ones.

Thebuffalo
28-03-2004, 08:11 AM
Runamuk, it must take a while to eat all of that, you better start watching your mercury intake as it is pretty high in big fish.

Thebuffalo

jeffo
28-03-2004, 12:44 PM
yeah you bet im a t&R fisho! its the way of the future wether people likeit or not! personally i wouldnt waste my time fighting a tiger for 6 hours!
what do you do with all the meat once its dead? it couldnt possibly be much good for eating! or is it just so you can hang it?

basserman
30-03-2004, 05:05 PM
jeff i know the big sharks that are brought in at the gloden lure are just dumped at sea after weighed and samples are taken >:(
and thats from a gamefinshing club >:(

verythirstyman
09-05-2004, 01:05 PM
I agree, what the hell do you do with a 400kg tiger, the mercury levels would be off the chart as stated. Tag and release is the only way to go, some fisho's still treat sharks like trophy's, it's a ******* joke. I am sure that 99% of all the crew here agree.

runamuk
19-05-2004, 11:13 AM
Hey, verythirstyman and others that have bagged this topic, if you dont have anything good to say dont say it at all,there are plenty of boats off sydney that fish for sharks on a regular basis and most are tagged and released but there are some that are not.Everyone has there way of fishing and just because you dont like it you have to bag it.Ive been fishing for sharks for a long time and i dont go around bagging people that fish T/R. I have also seen plenty of dead marlin floating on the surface that have been tagged that day,it dosent look good.

propdinger
19-05-2004, 01:09 PM
i take a piccy and cut loose i would be happy with that

jeff

dnej
19-05-2004, 01:44 PM
If you have been fishing for years for sharks, what do you want us for, surely you have learnt something over all those years, on boat set up?

mackmauler
19-05-2004, 01:44 PM
The ultimate challenge is to get them onboard.

fishn SEQ from open dinghy 14 ft.

Dr_Dan
19-05-2004, 01:54 PM
Guys, don't wanna seem like a winging prick, but seriously, give this guy a break. I know that a hell of a lot of you don't agree with what he is doing (i don't agree either), but that doesn't mean that you have to make a mockery of him. The reason i like this site so much is that MOST of the time, people are really helpful with questions that are being posted, no matter how stupid it may seem!

The way i see it, is if this guy wants to take the effort to try and bring a big shark on board, and as long as it's not illegal, then all the best to him. Again, i certainly wouldn't do it, but that's my personal decision, and it's this blokes personal decision to do what he's doing.

It jsut sometimes seems to me, that unless you fit in to what the rest of everyone out there is doing, then you are treated like shit!

Again, not saying i agree, but seriously guys, each to their own!

Sorry for the winge!

Dan [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

nonibbles
19-05-2004, 02:46 PM
It'd be a pretty boring and predictable world if we all did the right thing or what everybody else expected of them wouldn't it? On the other hand just because something is not illegal doesn't make it right either. It depends upon what YOU see when you look in the mirror doesn't it? I'm certainly not going to be casting stones (a bit biblical but don't judge me on that)

Big_Kev
19-05-2004, 03:04 PM
Hey, verythirstyman and others that have bagged this topic, if you dont have anything good to say dont say it at all,there are plenty of boats off sydney that fish for sharks on a regular basis and most are tagged and released but there are some that are not.Everyone has there way of fishing and just because you dont like it you have to bag it.Ive been fishing for sharks for a long time and i dont go around bagging people that fish T/R. I have also seen plenty of dead marlin floating on the surface that have been tagged that day,it dosent look good.

Well thats what you get for entering an open public forum...
If you don't like the fact that someone else might not like your way of doing things you will have to lump it.
If you keep the shark to put most of it to good use thats great and you should go hard at it.
But if you take a pic of a dead shark hanging off a bar and then dump it, then I don't think much of that.
It would be a waste of a great creature.

I wish you the best of fishing in whatever your endevour.
Cheers Kev :) :)

caloundra
19-05-2004, 04:19 PM
well said kev

MAHI_MAHI
19-05-2004, 05:55 PM
Fishing out wide with a charter operator, I winched up a 2.5 metre shark , much to the amazement of crew and clients ...all thought it was bottom...the only thing that saved it was the poor maintenance on the gaff which failed to strike + hold >be blowed what they were going to do with it!...suggestion of flake at the local fisho's was mentioned.

Fishing off cape york , around Possession Island , a buddy and I were intrigued at the barrell rolling whalers that were taking our lures , and putting on a huge performance , leaping + rolling over and over.
...MADE me glad I was in a boat , and having no need to bring one aboard.

When 1 larger sized whaler was beaten under the boat , and fatigued in a missile launch position , we were happy to cut the line .

mackmauler
19-05-2004, 07:11 PM
Around here despite all the contractors netting and drumlining the beaches there is still sharks around, it would be great to see this banned to give the protected sharks the white/nurse a chance to recover :o and other species such as the whalers reduced to only line fishing pressure. The shark fishn would be something to see then, it could turn brisbane bluewater and moreton bay back into the gamefishing mecca it once was, an international tourist bonanza if managed well ;D

BladeRunner
20-05-2004, 11:38 AM
Runamuk. My boat is 5 M center consel and on our trips to the reef we encounter all types of sharks tigers mako etc & they all want a free feed of fish.When we hook up on one of these mothers you can have your mates still fishing while you keep the shark occupied for a few hours plus a free tow over your best fishing spot because thats where sharks normally hang out.As far as pulling them on board no chance they thrash and chomp at any thing in sight. So if I were to take one home I would have to say I'd tow it by the tail back to the boat ramp. But I don't see the point.
Regards BladeRunner

bidkev
23-05-2004, 07:33 AM
I'm a bit late on this thread but I think that all those who have posted have a valid point. I think that "each to his own" should hold sway as long as the fish isn't killed to simply be dumped later.

An old guy once told me that when he was younger, he had felt *very* guilty about once killing a big shark to simply get a photo. He told me that as he is now a lot older and crippled with athritis and considering that he never did much with his life, that despite his guilt, that photo is one of his most treasured posessions. It reminded him of his acheivement at fishing and that it gave him something to show his old buddies and to talk over.

Who's to say what is "precious" to another? Some of us would be simply happy with the thought of the catch, others may *need* that tangible image to hold onto. I for one will not judge others on something like this.

I used to target shark in the bay until I got enough balls to take the kids offshore and now a whole new world has opened up to me.

I aimed for shark primarily because I knew that I *could* catch 'em nearly every trip and because the kids would get a kick out of it, and because they all like flake.

I never take "one for the pot" over 5 foot because of the risk of mercury, although the DPI informed me that I would have to eat a hell of a lot of it for a long time for there to be any risk.

I agree with mackmauler though, that actually *boating* 'em is the ultimate challenge.

I think that we all have to be aware that there may be a danger that some conservation issues may end up the way of political correctness whereby some institutions and individuals go completely overboard on the issue. My favourite shoes are nigger brown, and I *will* continue to use that word :-)

It's a fine line we all balance :-)

cheers

kev

phewy
23-05-2004, 08:31 AM
Getting a photo of a catch is fine , but how about just a snap of it over the boats side before releasing. You still have your happy snap to show your "old buddies".

mackmauler
23-05-2004, 09:54 AM
LOL, phewy unless your mad, how do you intend to get into the picture with your new found friend?

phewy
23-05-2004, 01:01 PM
Mack, I'm sure the average person (with a bit of courage and guts) could get a shot from their buddie with a couple feet between them and their catch before cutting the line (or metal wire if thats your preferred way)

bidkev
23-05-2004, 01:52 PM
Getting a photo of a catch is fine , but how about just a snap of it over the boats side before releasing. You still have your happy snap to show your "old buddies".

As I said, "getting it *into* the boat is the ultimate challenge. If you haven't boated it, have you really "conquered" it? Yes, it's pretty scary having something like a shark thrashing around the boat, but the adrenelin rush for some, when this happens, can't be denied.

I always try to tail 'em, and if they aren't played out enough to come quietly, then I let 'em go at the side of the boat. I don't consider myself to have caught 'em if I have to do this though. I gaff the smaller ones that I'm taking for the pot.

The thrill (for me) of attempting to lift a fish like this by hand, has yet to be equalled and I've only managed it on 4 occasions.

cheers

kev

phewy
23-05-2004, 02:24 PM
Each to their own I suppose. But I think if you get it to the side of the boat, take a pic of it if needed and release it, it is officialy called caught! (and importantly RELEASED). And could you realy get an adrenalin rush from having a fish pulled from its enviroment gasping for its life "thrashing" around on the floor out of its senses!!

Smithy
24-05-2004, 04:01 AM
One trick I have learned over the years is to laso them around the head before going for the tailrope - much easier to achieve and they can go doggo once the weight comes on their head. Just create a laso that can slide down the leader and get it over their snout to about the gills once boat side and heave on that. Then get your tailrope on. This is for the smaller Whalers etc. we get here in Qld. Not sure about 400# Tigers etc.

From what I have seen on videos and pictures mostly they seem to sink flyers into them then everyone lies on the ground hanging onto the rope off the flyer and the thrashing fish whilst trying to cleat off as close as possible. Aren't you then suppossed to tailrope and drag them backwards to suffocate them? Have seen pictures where they take block and tackle out that connects to the front of the cabin or wherever to winch them onboard - whether over the transom or gunnels. One Rob Paxevanos show the boat had a rollered rail on the transom to achieve this easier. Other guys I have spoken to use mats or something draped over the gunnels to help them slide them in. We have all probably heard the urban myth or it may be fact about the NSW shark trailerboats that pull out the bungs to sink the transom a bit so that the boat sits lower to assist getting the sharks in then pumping the water out.

bungie
24-05-2004, 05:19 AM
Dunno about sharks. but some marlin boats have a door at the rear in the transom, below the gunwale. They attach a rope to the anchor winch, through the cabin, the rear door, and out to the catch. then just winch it in.

I must state I understand this is only done now adays with fish that they believe are world record. Well thats what the guy on "Billfish" the other day said :)

ProFleet
24-05-2004, 06:08 AM
we use a hydraulic winch and block and tackle.. :P

but i couldnt imagine doing it on a smaller boat .that would be to much like work. And no we dont generally target large sharks , the setup is mainly for other types of fishing.

bidkev
26-05-2004, 05:02 AM
Each to their own I suppose. But I think if you get it to the side of the boat, take a pic of it if needed and release it, it is officialy called caught! (and importantly RELEASED). And could you realy get an adrenalin rush from having a fish pulled from its enviroment gasping for its life "thrashing" around on the floor out of its senses!!

Yep!.........and getting it *back* into the water is just as thrilling.

chhers

kev

BladeRunner
26-05-2004, 09:53 AM
Kingtin
You call that a shark Mate out where I go you can catch a mako on line and take photos as it leaps out of the water doin barral rolls trying to break free.That old shovel couldn't hert a fly.We also get big tiger sharks.No way I would pull one of them on board. [smiley=angel.gif]
Next time you onto a shark pull along side your boat and roll it onto its back you might find it easyer to tame. [smiley=bandana.gif]

bidkev
26-05-2004, 03:38 PM
Kingtin
You call that a shark Mate out where I go you can catch a mako on line and take photos as it leaps out of the water doin barral rolls trying to break free.That old shovel couldn't hert a fly.We also get big tiger sharks.No way I would pull one of them on board. [smiley=angel.gif]
Next time you onto a shark pull along side your boat and roll it onto its back you might find it easyer to tame. # [smiley=bandana.gif]

Nope, I call it a ray. I've caught 'em twice that size but that one's my proudest catch......taken on a prawn on 5 kilo line :-).

As for 'em not hurting a fly, you keep out of the way of that tail in a small boat and you certainly don't put your fingers anywhere near a mouth that can crush shellfish.

Pound for pound, I reckon a big shovelly can give a better fight that any shark I've encountered.......they just don't seem to know when they're beaten......*and* they taste better *and* they don't stink as much when you gut 'em :-)

I caught a small Mako of about 5 ft back in the UK about 20 yrs ago.........fantastic sight to see 'em leap.......hopefully, I'll see it happen again (here) one day.

cheers

kev

phewy
26-05-2004, 07:04 PM
kingtin, if your'e boating them then releasing alive if not needed for food thats fantastic, but I was referring to the mongrels who boat sharks to take back to the dock to have their pics taken, maybe have the sharks jaws ripped out for trophys then have the carcass dumped back at sea. But if you want a real "adrenalin rush" why not jump into their enviroment unprotected while their swimming around you whilst your'e gasping for breath!

bidkev
27-05-2004, 05:05 AM
kingtin, if your'e boating them then releasing alive if not needed for food thats fantastic, but I was referring to the mongrels who boat sharks to take back to the dock to have their pics taken, maybe have the sharks jaws ripped out for trophys then have the carcass dumped back at sea. But if you want a real "adrenalin rush" why not jump into their enviroment unprotected while their swimming around you whilst your'e gasping for breath!

Do I detect a note of sarcasm? If so, that's a ridiculous statement........you might as well tell *all* fishos to jump into the water and catch fish with their bare hands.

This particular issue could be argued for ever and a day and we could run around in circles till we dissapeared up our own arses...... eg Why is someone who takes one fish (for a trophy) that is not subject to take limits, considered a mongrel, whereas someone who "bags out" is not? Why does someone who catches fish to eat (enjoyment), consider themselves to be on higher moral ground than someone who catches and retains fish for a trophy (enjoyment)? I know it could be argued that eating is a necessity but why hunt for the food? Why should someone not be entitled to a "jaws trophy" if someone else is entitled to kill for other reasons? Killing is killing period!

I am a conservationist. I take only what I need. I get out of my sport relative to what I put into it. *I personally*, don't consider a fish to be caught until it is boated. It's a hunter/gatherer thing I suppose. If I have a particular need on any given day to boat a fish then I will attempt that.....on other days, I may have no desire at all and will always loose 'em at the side of the boat. That's *my* type/style of fishing.

As I said earlier, there is a danger of conservation issues becoming "done to death" just as political correctness has, with it's subsequent swing to the right.

The way to persuade is by reasoned argument, not by innuendo or "force feeding". The latter invariably produce an opposite response to what is expected. If I misread the intent of your quote, then I apologise.

cheers

kev

Cloud_9
27-05-2004, 05:42 AM
personaly i cant see the point of targeting Sharks but i have only caught shovelies as bycatch, but can understand the buzz of the reel screaming like there's no tomorrow and not knowing whats on the end of your line, till u see colour. but its EACH TO THEIR OWN. till there protected
my best effort is 10Kg shovel on 2Kg line, 45 minite fight and we chased the thing all over the pin before it was gaffed it ( for Food )
people will always be bagged here for doing somthing that others don't understand or agree with, Me included. :-/ :-/
here's my shovel

SeaHunt
27-05-2004, 06:15 AM
Who's ya mate who forgot his dacks? ;D

ba229
27-05-2004, 06:38 AM
lol
i thought the same thing :-)
maybe they force fed them to the ray to quieten it down ;D

bidkev
27-05-2004, 12:21 PM
Watcha stood on Cloud 9? Scales?

2 kilo line eh? Crackerjack! The luck of the draw with some of these shovellies is how they can sometimes break higher class line and at other times they can't. Nine out of 10 of 'em always seem to have the line tucked under their wing which is why so many break-offs occur due to abrasion. That one of mine was caught on Sandgate pier on a size 1 hook.....it sure was fun "walking" it to the beach :-)

cheers

kev

Big_Kev
27-05-2004, 02:00 PM
Thats a younger looking Jamie.
I am not sure if the hair is longer now or shorter but.
Good catch to for the line class.

phewy
27-05-2004, 02:57 PM
Kingtin, no apology nessessary. I just dont think its right that people go out especially looking for trophys to hang on walls and dumping the carcasses (seen it done) when there done with no intention of keeping it for food purposes. And then keep trying to out do it. Its no different to those knobhead big game hunters with their trophy (heads on plaques) laden walls, but as I said before each to his own I suppose.

BladeRunner
27-05-2004, 03:41 PM
Well done Kev every one wont's to have there pic in the post, as soon as I can shrink my pics down to under 100KB I might post a couple.
Soon the way of the future If not already TAG& RELEASE Might be the go for the amount you can keep, Bag Limit dose not way up to the amount of fule you can use. Like any sport there is always money involved. Nice posts Every one .Fishing is still fun no mater how hard it gets . [smiley=bandana.gif]

bidkev
27-05-2004, 03:58 PM
Kingtin, no apology nessessary. I just dont think its right that people go out especially looking for trophys to hang on walls and dumping the carcasses (seen it done) when there done with no intention of keeping it for food purposes. And then keep trying to out do it. Its no different to those knobhead big game hunters with their trophy (heads on plaques) laden walls, but as I said before each to his own I suppose.

OK phewy, I'm with you now. Usenet is funny that way....without body language and tone of voice, it's not easy to know if you're being knocked or not.

I'm not into "trophies" either. I just enjoy the acheivements. I know what you mean though......if you keep a "trophy" and then a bigger fish comes along, then the first trophy becomes redundant and on it goes, till there's no trophies left to hunt.

cheers

kev

phewy
27-05-2004, 05:23 PM
Cool!