PDA

View Full Version : Aluminium Bowriders - need help

Gaz_2000
25-05-2004, 07:42 PM
I am lookiong at buying an aluminium bowrider between 5.1-5.3M.

There are a number of brands on the market, stacer and quintrex at the upper price range, then there is allycraft, bermuda (same as allycraft) 4 seasons (anyone know this brand?) and bluefin.

Does anyone have any feedback on these boats, I am looking for the typical compromise, something for me to fish in, mainly bays and close off-shore and a boat that the family can enjoy as well.

Is the Stacer worth the extra money or are you paying for the name?

The blue fin comes in plate sides, some tell me this gives a quieter and softer ride, others say it does not???

The bermuda seems like good value, are they durable?

I am getting confused, can you help?

cheers,

Gaz

MTpockets
25-05-2004, 09:15 PM
Hi Gaz,
I have only ever owned Stessel tinnies myself, but saying that I know fellas that have some or all of the #brands you mention. The price difference is only a problem if you dont quite have the funds, and can actually make the difference. My experience is that for bay fishing in a tinnie with family onbaord dictates a slightly larger boat than needed, higher sides and good seating. Thickness of the hull and sides is also very important as you prolly know.
Blue Fin are made local (brissy area) and have a good reputaion, and a growing popularity, not sure on price versus design and strength tho. You wouldnt go wrong with a Stacer, Quinnie or any other brand really, they are all great boats.

I suggest looking at Stessel cos they represent value for money, and the design these days are very good versus Quinnies ect.... Go for strength and depth of sides ect .... and test driving a new boat is the very best way to decide these days. Make sure they can offer you the chance to test in water mate, only then can you really get the feeling of "Yep, this ones what I want"
My best mate owned a 4 seasons from new and had a hand in its design. Very high sides and nice thick alloy, but he sold it due to the splash not being diverted out. The splash always made its way onboard, usually meaning the family got drenched :(

Hope I have helped in some way.
Cheers
Les

Jeremy
26-05-2004, 03:13 AM
I think you need help fullstop if you are looking at a bowrider. In my opinion they are a fad boat for the know-nothings. If I am wrong, educate me. A wet boat with not much fishing room.

If you like getting wet, get a centre console. They are the best fishing boat available. If you and your family don't like getting wet, get a runabout or cuddy.

Just my opinions

Jeremy

davo
26-05-2004, 05:24 AM
I thought bowriders were a waste of time too. Then my father had an AMM plate alloy 4.5m built for him. He is an ex pro fisho and has fished in all types of boats. I have a Fisher 4.8m side console and it's excellent but when I get to the stage of wanting more shelter I'll get Fisher to build me one. His bow rider has heaps of room and a great casting area out front. It was the first one AMM did and it worked well. Access to the front is better and you drive the boat mid ship so the ride is better.

easyrider525
26-05-2004, 11:48 AM
BOWRIDERS RULE!!!!!!! all the rest are way behind the best....

SeaHunt
26-05-2004, 01:19 PM
Hi Gaz,
You said you were looking for a compromise family/fishing boat so I will disagree with Jeremy here and say a bowrider is the perfect compromise. I own a 2002 model Quintrex 475 Freedom Sport, 60 Hp 4 st. EFI Merc, cost about $25k, and could not be happier with it.
I use mine for fishing , just crusing around and water skiing type activies.
Two people can easily fish from the back and the front converts to a casting platform , great for 1 person fishing or throwing a cast net, try throwing a cast net from a half cab or centre console. :P
I see you are in Sydney so you can ignore the cast net stuff.
Conditions have to be pretty rough for any water to come in the front. The only time I had people getting wet was going through 6 foot swell/chop at an angle in windy conditions, and even then it was only a matter of stopping and putting the clears on,and the passengers behind the windscreen as opposed to in the Bow.
My last boat was a 17 ft. fiberglass half cab, and it was not good to fish out of , seems like all that area in front of the windscreen was wasted and getting the anchor in and out was a pain in the arse.
I bought mine new and checked out the Stessl and Stacer versions of the same thing, but went for the Quinnie because of the (extra) flared bow which diverts the wash away from the boat and also because of the maxi transom design. I went for the 475 because it just fits neatly into my garage, a 5.3 m might have been better in the big stuff but I have no complaints.
Quintrex have changed their Bowriders a little since mine , they now have carpeted inside walls and a self draining floor etc.. and they have rounded off the pod transom a little making it effectively smaller, god knows why. :P
Not sure if you are looking at new or not , but try to get a 4st. and make sure you take it for a spin. :)

Morlers
26-05-2004, 02:06 PM
Hi Gaz
Check out the Sea Jay Wanderer range in 4.75m, 5.05m and 5.35m at http://www.seajayboats.com.au/ . With 3mm bottoms and 2mm sides they are quite strong boats. The beam ranges are from 2.1m to 2.42m so good room for fishing and family. I have had a Sea Jay 4.55m Centre Console for past 2 years and can say they make excellent alluminium boats.
Just another thought for you. Sorry if its just added to the confusion.

:) :)
Morlers

davo
26-05-2004, 04:50 PM
Check out the AMM bowrider. My father lure fishes out of it, trolls, uses his castnet, crabs, and bait fishes out of it

davo
26-05-2004, 04:53 PM
Here's one from the back.

Jeremy
27-05-2004, 03:28 AM
OK, I'll stand (at least partly) corrected. The main thing for anyone is that you are happy with your rig for the purposes you use it.

Jeremy

easyrider525
27-05-2004, 04:35 AM
as stated earlier, bowriders are great. mine is a stacer 525 with a 75 merc and all the gizmo's you need. i had the canopy extended to cover all the rear end and then clears to make a full camper body. my wife and 18mnth daughter can stay out of the wind and sun and if it does blow up nasty they can stay dry. all my fishing is usually done from the front casting deck. if the boys come with me then zip off come the covers ( takes 5 min at the ramp or home) and then you have a good fishin' battle wagon. never had any problems with water coming over the bow in the rough stuff cos i had a good cover made up to fill in the bow section if needed. my mate has a mustang walkabout, great boat, and we have taken many an offshore trip in both boats down off eden. truley would not swap my bowrider for anything. except when maybe im too old and need a smaller one. will post a pic when i find a decent one to show.

Gaz_2000
27-05-2004, 07:19 AM
Easyrider,

Do you find the 75hp is enough power for that size boat?

SeaHunt
27-05-2004, 08:32 AM
Hi Gaz,
Easyrider might not think so , but I would think a 90 hp would be more the go on that boat. My 475 was originally supposed to have a 75 on it, I downsized a little to the 60 to get a 4 stroke. If buying new, do your home work on the motors regarding weight as well as price etc. For 4 stroke try Suzuki, Yamaha , Mercury or maybe Honda which tend to be a little heavier than the others , depends on HP though.

wannabe
27-05-2004, 02:52 PM
I'm thinking of getting a 475 coast runner tinnie very soon. How do you guys thinks an evinrude 75 hp etec will go on it?

propdinger
27-05-2004, 02:59 PM
on the 525 bowriders i looked at every dealer told me 90hp was best but would run a 75hp i tend on going for a run in the bluefin 525 which has a merc 2stroke 90hp very soon BUT money situation a little tighter now i HAVE to get married (not a shot gun wedding)
jut cant handle her going on and on.....lol

cheers
jeff

easyrider525
28-05-2004, 04:25 AM
yes lads the 75 is enough. its the same engine as the 90 merc. the ventura's on the carbs are a bit smaller. but thats no prob for me got a second set on order from the states cheaps as chips. the warranty runs out soon ,so on go the new carbs. then look out.
but as she stands she can still pull a 95kilo fatso out on to skis no probs.

NQCairns
28-05-2004, 05:10 AM
Whats the difference really between a Bowrider and a CC with regard to water coming over the front?

Easyrider before you buy those larger carbies make sure merc didn't change the port timing on the 90hp or you will end up with a real dog of an engine, 15hp is a lot to gain from just carbs given Merc probably rate the 75 and 90 at the same RPM? It smells like carbies are just one part of the upgrade needed. If I am right your 75 has the same cubic capacity it would blow the 90 away until around 4500 to 5000rpm anyway.nq

Gaz_2000
30-05-2004, 04:45 PM
Thanks for the advice everyone, I think I am going to get a stacer 525 easyrider sports, 90hp 4stk motor.

I will let you know how it goes.

MTpockets
31-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Best of luck Gaz :)
cheers
Les

macka17
25-11-2015, 11:24 AM
Well. How did it go?.

Seriously. I have a 2002 Stacer 525 bowrider. '98 Mercury Optimax 90hp motor with around 100 hrs on it.
\
Upgraded motor for the islands then ended up using the 3.75/15 Yammie mainly in the dams for Barra.
Bent props in the sticks are expensive in the bigger motors.

Good trailer.
Furuno "Proper" boittom lock B/W sounder for barra and Snapper, reds trout etc,
small colour sounder for mid water fish

These motors are more ecomomical and reliable (less moving parts than the 4 strokes.
More out of the hole and
better top end. I've had both.

Thinking around $17 grand. or offers

Photo coming shortly. 0429-851-667 Macka.

Also a 3.75 Quinnie full bow. full height transon L/S 15 Yammie with low hrs.
on trailer.
Great Barra boat for coast and dams.

fair but of fishing gear too.
74 yr old. getting a bit stiff for climbing in and out of boats nowadays.
Mainly good quality Barra and light game. some new (never used)
Mostly Daiwa.