PDA

View Full Version : Trailer issues

kemplers
31-05-2004, 07:23 PM
Anyone know how to fix up an old trailer...i think the bearings are going and the suspension? is now getting pretty damn rusty....what are some good things to do to get a trailer back in good working order.

phewy
31-05-2004, 07:38 PM
Ditch the axle and springs and look at an AL-KO independent rubber suspension axle, fully galvanised with elec, mech or hyd brakes. Go to http://www.alko.com.au/vehicle/axles/irs.html for a look! ;) pic below

propdinger
01-06-2004, 05:03 AM
kemplers
what area you live in as there are many places you can find that sell trailer parts cheap unlike some marine places and what size boat goes on this trailer is it single axle or dual.?? ???

phewy although the axle you show is bloody great and i love them thay are also very exspensive for the price of that axle you could do the hole trailer up i was going to try them out as i had the old type ones but i nearly died at the price i needed 2 and i could of nearly built a brand new trailer for the cost of 2 of those

cheers
jeff

lordy
01-06-2004, 05:52 AM
What was the price?

dnej
01-06-2004, 06:06 AM
You can buy single leaf springs, very thick and available in variety of strengths for most weights. Other wise get galvanised leaf springs, they are available these days. I like to pull them apart, and smear on a layer of lanoline grease between the leaves

As far as the bearings are concerned
Stainless bearing buddies, allow you to grease up the bearings under pressure, keeping the water out.They replace the normal caps on the end of the axle.
Also dont put hot bearings in the water. Wait for them to cool, when you get to the ramp.

David

phewy
01-06-2004, 03:56 PM
Propdinger, maybe more expensive but money well spent I'd say. No more wire brushing, painting, smearing lanolin grease or spraying fish oil. All you would have to do is maybe get it re-rubbered after about 10yrs or so, which AL-KO do. After my new trailer axle/springs/u-bolts start rusting will definetly look at this system