PDA

View Full Version : boat canopy

dazza
01-06-2004, 08:42 AM
hi all,
have just had a new canpoy fitted to my boat. it has clears on the sides and above the windscreen. i didn't realize how opaque the old ones were, buggered if i know how we saw anything out of them.
how do i keep them crystal clear?
i have heard not to use detergents as these can be abrasive and overtime fine scratches build up, reducing the clarity.
the salt buildup will also leave scratches.
should i just hose off with fresh water and not wipe them or what?
while i am on the spring clean/refit, what is a good polish/wax.
the hull is a 1992 model and is a bit faded in places. would like to give it a bit of a face lift?
can anyone reccomend anything and is there tricks to make the job easier?
cheers
dazza

Morlers
01-06-2004, 02:02 PM
Hi Dazza
I understand Maguires (as in car polish/detergents/etc fame)puts out products to clean and polish clear plastics and perspex. I havn't used them myself but my son did on the visor of his bike helmet. It removed the fine scratches and it come up like new. On reading the instructions I see that there are 3 different polishes -cleaning, polishing and buffing. Might pay to check them out. All the best.

:) :)
Morlers

bigbrian47
01-06-2004, 05:50 PM
dazza i've been using mr sheen on mine keeps them like new
cheers brian

Mudcrab
02-06-2004, 04:07 AM
Also found Mr. Sheen very good but if you want the water to run off as quickly as possible use RAINEX as it not only cleans the screens, it makes them water repellant for up to a month. Any automobile shop like Supercheap etc. sells the bright yellow bottle for about $12 I think. great on any windscreen.........

fishingrod
02-06-2004, 05:57 PM
all good advise here
just be careful with RAINEX on anything other than "real glass"

test on a SMALL area first

hey mr VMR....how did u go with your wharf and stabi/tender issue after that local meeting?..... or did i miss a result post on here

cheers
Rod