PDA

View Full Version : Advise Required for Cruise Craft Colt 1500

HAZ
01-06-2004, 07:26 AM
Hi Guys,
I am close to buying a Cruise Craft Colt 1500 (1986) Half cabin.
Has anyone owned or knows of someone that has. I am after any info on the boat in general, ie Handling, stability, problems etc. The boat I am looking at has a 75 hp which apparently is the max rating.
Any feedback would be appreciated.
Harry. [smiley=help.gif]

fishingrod
01-06-2004, 02:13 PM
Hey Harry
Ive got a 1986 Cruise Craft 5.06m Regal half cabin. Basically the bigger brother of the Colt. (my pic attached, my first attempt hope it works!)

The build quality and attention to detail in those days was great. Mine handles great and i fish mainly offshore.

The Colts a bit shorter and narrower but still should be good for its size. If 75hp is the max and theres a fair bit of weight at the back (IE big fuel tanks and 2 batteries, anchors) it might need a foil or fin to help it plane easily or just moving some of the weight about.

A cruise craft will always have a better re-sale over any lesser known brand. At least the phone will ring when u go to re-sell.

Do the normal checks, check for soft floor, soft transom and general look over for blemishs that might indicate major repairs. Id rather see a few minor scratches as at least nothing is hidden. Have a look on boatpoint.com or trading post and make sure your paying the right money for it. Theres a few about (not a lot) to compare

cheers and happy boating
rod

HAZ
02-06-2004, 04:50 AM
Hi Rod,
Thanks very much for the advice. The Colt is fitted with a foil already so hopefully that would have fixed weight issues if there were any.
Regards,
Harry
PS Your Regal looks like a great rig too ! [smiley=2thumbsup.gif]

fishingrod
03-06-2004, 04:24 PM
Hi Harry
thanks for the complements on my rig. I do love my Cruise Craft ....... but I still want a Yalta 2000 or 18' Shark Cat
!!.... one day

Good look with your ventres

cheers
Rod