PDA

View Full Version : Raido Transmition HI or Low WATTS

BladeRunner
02-06-2004, 01:47 PM
Hi All
I was told when you are on the water ofshore and you call to another boat who is not that far from yourself it's better to use low watts of power because you could blow the recivers raido up [smiley=bomb.gif].I have a Uniden vhf 1Watt or 25Watt button normaly I am on chn 82 at 1Watt and never had to many boats around where I fish to find out.
Can you help? [smiley=helpa.gif]

Dose it make a difference what power I use HI or LOW Watts to transmit?
Can it do damage to other boat users radio's on 25 Watts?

Cheers
BladeRunner [smiley=bandana.gif]

Morlers
02-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi BladeRunner
To quote from the GME Electrophone instruction manual:
'Note: It is recommended that you always use the low power setting when in port or for short range communication. This will minimise the risk of interference to other vessels nereby.'

Don't know if using high power will blow the receivers set or not but if it causes interference then the receiver probably would not be able to decipher your communication.

:) :)
Morlers

polydriver
02-06-2004, 06:34 PM
Using high power in close proximity to other radios of the same frequency range, more so 27mhz, will cause interference on other channels of radios in the same area.
ie if you are talking on channel 1 and there are people nearby who are talking on channel 2, your transmissions may cause static or breakover on their channel. If you had a CB in the heady days of the 70's (no old fart comments thanks :P) you may have heard it come through a stereo system or even over the TV.
I doubt very much that you would "blow the radio up" if transmitting very close due to the advances in technology and componentry. I have used commercial radios for years and at times the vehicles have been very close and there has been no problems.
Hope that helps
cheers
Dave

bay_firey
03-06-2004, 02:24 PM
"Splatter" aaahhhh brings back memories

BladeRunner
03-06-2004, 06:06 PM
Thanks Dave . You fellows from Bundy & Harvey bay have a bigger fleet than we do.
I now have a better under standing from what you have said and will keep at 1 Watt
don't go out any further than polmaise Reef and VMR can still hear me Loud & Clear smiley=ears.gif]
Thanks
BladeRunner [smiley=bandana.gif]