PDA

View Full Version : Dive door in a boat

melbdan
04-06-2004, 07:02 PM
Hi guys im rebuilding a haines hunter V17L new transom stringers floor the hole lot im thinking of makeing a side door that swings open has any one done this or have a door on there boat that i could see any info would be great also would u weaken the boat in any way thanks guys.

Mudcrab
05-06-2004, 07:05 PM
first thing is make it swing inwards not outwards otherwise it may get ripped off
we have one on our 8 metre aluminium rescue boat that works well
very hard to water tight them but if you have good scuppers, no problem

melbdan
06-06-2004, 12:39 AM
Hi VMR what are scuppers and do u have any pics i could see thanks.

NQCairns
06-06-2004, 12:57 AM
Hi, with the boat I am doing up I considered the same idea early on but at the time couldn't find any good info to make me feel secure about the idea so I just rebuilt a new standard type transom raised and without the well. That was a year + ago and I know know how to do it properly and I am tossing up the idea of modifying mine to a transom door, I always liked the idea.

You will need to run knees down from the transom to the hull and stringers to account for the loss of rigidity and also another bulkhead across transverse underfloor that also ties in the, floor, knees, all the stringers, hull and the sides of the boat. Also due to the soft nature of composite (non wood)materials unless vacume bagged the best bet is to use near 40cm+ of ply and vinal - ester polyester resin instead of the basic laminating resin that would easily have done the job on a normal transom. Also forget using mat unless just filling out an area it has no good structural value, use 750gm triaxial mat orientated differently for all your tying in/fillets work except when laminating between ply sheets. If you do replace the stringers consider doing one at a time or you might end up with a corkscrewed hull as a result. nq

Mudcrab
07-06-2004, 09:31 PM
Scuppers are simply big "slots" chopped in the lower transom rear floor area that permit large amounts of water to get out -fast! Bigger is better! Most commercial vessels also have them around the lower side floor areas to ensure any big greenies get dumped asap. Of course the one problem is that sea water can also get in as well via these rear transom scuppers. Easily fixed by having "flaps" of rubber or "teflon" etc. hinged across the outside so that the water actually closes them for you.

peterbo3
08-06-2004, 08:05 AM
If you are thinking of a side door then you will weaken the hull to the point where stress fractures are almost certain. A 17 ft boat relies on the rigidity & strength of both the gunwales & the sides in addition to the floor, keel, stringers & ribs.
Suggest you contact a F/G boat builder/repairer for professional advice. This is a much more complicated mod than installing a transom door, many of which open onto a pod which is an extension of the hull.