PDA

View Full Version : Steering

blaze
07-06-2004, 09:52 PM
teleflex cable steering = one thick cable running down rhs with a helm unit to suit, your steering wheel might fit, $300 app
cheers
blaze

skelz
08-06-2004, 02:56 PM
Hi
I have just purchase a 4.5m fibreglass half cabin with a 70hp outboard.
i had its first outing on Sunday Happy Days burning down the brissy river -Life doesnt get any better
BUT
Had a couple of small problems.
Firstly the cable steering requires a little work.
The system is has a hub behind the steering that has a blue plastic covered cable wound a couple of times the cable then feeds thru a couple of guides/pulleys then to the outboard etc etc.
I believe this is old a system and surely there must be a better way.
Can anybody suggest any alternatives. Bearing in mind tight budget that I dont think would stretch to a full hydraulic system. Any feeback will be greatly appreciated

Jeremy
09-06-2004, 04:15 AM
Skelz,

I used to have that cable and pulley steering system on my boat. I had it break down on me twice while I was out on the water. It is a major pain in the arse, unreliable and unsafe. Get it changed over to the single cable system asap as Blaze said.

Jeremy

Hagar
11-06-2004, 09:16 AM
Are you any good on the tools ?
If so why not have a look at the secondhand marine bits outlets for a helm unit and cable . You are after a teleflexsteering setup with helm and cable . They are not hard to fit . I have seen new teleflex cables at these places before . Just be sure to get the correct lenght cable whether you go new or secondhand setup . Too short obviously won't fit and too long can be just as bad . A word of caution though . How old is your motor ? Some older motors with corroded tilt tubes ( the push - pull shaft of the cable will need to slide thru it freely ) have had wire cable steering fitted as a shonky fix . Have a look down at the ramp at some boats with your brand of motor and check out the setup . Most boaties are helpful if asked in the right way . Mine is originally Mercury ride guide but they are all similar .
Chris

Hagar
11-06-2004, 09:23 AM
The noisy end looks like this.

skelz
11-06-2004, 11:57 AM
thanks guys I have a TFX quick connect steering kit - (single cable etc)on order pick up saturday. Will let you know how I go.
Hager
1979-1983 mariner requires a extra bit to connect I think

Hagar
12-06-2004, 08:12 AM
This one is for you Blaze.
As you can see the bit that was out of frame is nothing very hi - tech just a piece of wooden dowell rod across the support stays of the bait table . Just a quick add on one day . Have found it very convenient for hanging slugs off but some of the ones with smaller trebles fall off but at least they go into the motor well and I pick them out. Hang spare traces off it when mackeral fishing - helps in the mayhem to have them close at hand. Am going to replace the rod with a piece of rigid plastic with a hole and slot for the trebles so they will stay put hopefully . Oh yeah , the whole thing is knocked up from pool piping and sits into two rod holders for easy ( 5 seconds ) removal .

Chris

blaze
12-06-2004, 08:20 AM
Hi Hager
is that just one of those strechy straps, handy thing to hang them on, always have trouble putting wet lures anywhere until i get home to wash them
cheers
blaze

peterbo3
12-06-2004, 08:21 AM
Hagar,
Are you gonna clean those mud wasp nests out from around the wiring ;D ;D ;D ;D ::) ::) ::) ::)

Hagar
12-06-2004, 08:53 AM
Blaze - Wooden dowel rod .

Peterbo - my place seems to be the centre of the universe for any hornet wanting a place to build a mud nest . Left that one there for the pic and you have passed the test ! [smiley=scholar.gif]

Chris

ba229
12-06-2004, 09:05 AM
I went back and looked at the picture again after Peterbo pointed them out. It was like a Where's Wally task. Very fun :)

Hagar
12-06-2004, 06:27 PM
UR welcome guys . Am gonna take the next pic from 100 metres down the drive and you have gotta guess where the little bludgers have built their next nest . [smiley=furious2.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif] [smiley=furious2.gif]

Chris