PDA

View Full Version : Garmin Sounder FF120 - Entry Sounder @ $225 ??

Bundaberg_Bandit
12-06-2004, 12:57 PM
Looking for a fairly cheap sounder to use mainly around estuaries and shallow reef (max 50 metres)

What do you you think about the Garmin FF120 (specs here http://www.gme.net.au/garmin/gar_ff120.html

I know it isn't dual frequency and kind of low power, but would these specs be sufficient for my type of fishing?

cheers

Bundy bandit

MY-TopEnder
12-06-2004, 02:08 PM
Yeah mate i have this exact same model... i haven't had any problems with mine.

You want to watch that the voltage stays up to it though (i use one of those micro batteries) cos once it drops too far it stops reading. But its always given me accurate depth readings and has shown fish when they're around.

Bundaberg_Bandit
12-06-2004, 03:48 PM
thanks mate,

mine would be running off a 640cca battery charged by the motor.

i thought the pixel resolution looked quite good, what do you reckon about it perhaps compared to others you have seen or owned

are the menus easy to navigate, I only have a Garmin GPS but have never had a sounder from garmin.

cheers

Bundy bandit

MY-TopEnder
12-06-2004, 04:46 PM
For the price i'm pretty sure its got the best resolution of all of the big names. And generally i don't find it too bad... it seems to show up the bottom pretty well and is accurate (sand/hard base).

The menu is really easy to navigate, dead simple for setting up the menus how you want them And the backlight is pretty good to.

Another thing i likes is the mounting hardware seems pretty sturdy.

Bundaberg_Bandit
13-06-2004, 09:10 AM
that is one thing I forgot, is it permanently mounted or can you detach it for storage easily?

The website doesn't seem to mention anything like that

MY-TopEnder
13-06-2004, 09:35 AM
Yeah you can remove the screen unit.

Where the bracket screws down there is a til adjustment screw. You just undo that right out and it comes out. The cable for power/transducer also has a screw on plug so just undo that and the tilt adjustment and it pops off.

I'll try and get some pics for you.

Bundaberg_Bandit
13-06-2004, 09:37 AM
thanks for the info,

I don't think our local fisho store has this one in stock

cheers

Bundy bandit