PDA

View Full Version : towing question

duckbill
09-06-2004, 12:07 PM
I am looking at getting a 4.55m side console polycraft, and at the moment I have a RAV4. Would it be able to tow it? Towing capacity for the rav is 700kg unbraked, and I think the boat, engine and traler would come close to that...

Any thoughts? All new to me, this would be my first boat... ???

MY-TopEnder
09-06-2004, 12:29 PM
I would think it'd be fine mate... and if you are overly worried, you can go to any good mechanic and they should be able to fit a transmission cooler if its an auto. If not then i wouldn't be overly worried about it.

Sportfish_5
09-06-2004, 12:38 PM
Duckbill - Definitely a safer option than a yak for chasing tuna off Bribie ;)

One of the many poly owners here will have better info on "real" towing weight. The RAV4 should be fine in regards to power. My only concern would be to ensure the BMT weight with fuel and all your gear stays under the 700kg you mentioned not just for safety but also insurance purposes. If not then you will need to get an overide braking system on the trailer. I would look into a system anyways as there is no worse feeling than slamming on the skids in a hurry and being driven by the trailer.

Good luck - Buying first boats is always a steep learning curve but always fun and that is what counts
;D

Cheers

Greg

polydriver
09-06-2004, 01:12 PM
hi Duckbill,
The 455 side console weighs in at 300kg. Add 110 for a 50hp 4 stroke, 70 kg or so for fuel in u/f tank then add weight of other items + trailer and that will give you a pretty good idea of towing weight.
I tow with a 5cyl 2.2L diesel and have no problems.
If you are unsure then check with Polycraft themselves, phone number is on their website and also check with Toyota.
I dont think you will have any problems

Big_Kev
09-06-2004, 02:39 PM
You will need a braked trailer for sure.
That boat rigged on a trailer with the gear I would think will go over the 700kg easily.
It will cost extra, but what is your life worth?
I have seen Ravs pull boats that big before, but I would think that you will have to drive it hard.

Kerry
09-06-2004, 03:06 PM
Towing in the not to distant future is going to get a whole lot more serious. I think one should start expecting to see mermaids at the top of many more boat ramps in the not to distant future and really I believe many are going to be for a rude shock.

Cheers, Kerry.

DaneCross
09-06-2004, 03:17 PM
My mrs' Rav4 tows my quinny 475 bayhunter like a dream, don't even notice its there. Go for it mate ;)

Please expand Kerry.

Big_Kev
09-06-2004, 03:40 PM
My mrs' Rav4 tows my quinny 475 bayhunter like a dream, don't even notice its there.

C'mon Dane this is us you are talking to. LOL

SNELLY
10-06-2004, 05:46 AM
Hey DC

Is you MUM's car the same as a company car ?

If the answer is yes then of course its going to tow anything well

SNELLY
10-06-2004, 05:48 AM
Kerry,

Are you talking "scaly" mermaids ???

Snelly

Jeremy
10-06-2004, 07:40 AM
Can't wait to see my first mermaid! Do I have to spend a long time at sea first, or will just a few hours be enough? ;D ;D

Jeremy

MY-TopEnder
10-06-2004, 07:45 AM
excuse the ignorance but can someone please explain what you mean by mermaid? ???

blaze
10-06-2004, 08:21 AM
blonde well developed bust, but got a bloody tail and smells like a fish
dont know if that helps ya my topender
cheers
blaze

propdinger
10-06-2004, 08:56 AM
blaze what about a brunette or a red head..hehe

Kerry
10-06-2004, 09:01 AM
"Scaly" mermaids ;) yeah I think you know the type, Transport inspectors with scales ;D but the common phase wouldn't be suitable here :-X

Probably very shortly they are going to take a real interest in boat ramps and this has already apparently occured up north.

Same as looking for overweight trucks, overweight boats are apparently in their sights and the weight will be top of ramp weight, in otherwise just before you hit the water, all the fuel, all the gear, all the ice, everything.

Cheers, Kerry.

SNELLY
10-06-2004, 09:04 AM
So on that basis my rig wont weigh 749kg any more then

Kerry
10-06-2004, 09:10 AM
NOOoooo, and they aren't going to give a rats what the compliance plates say either #:P

Cheers, Kerry.

MY-TopEnder
10-06-2004, 09:19 AM
blonde well developed bust, but got a bloody tail and smells like a fish
dont know if that helps ya my topender
cheers
blaze
Well thats stating the bleeding obvious... haha i was more so refering to what Kerry meant.

Thats just what i bloody need... copping defect notices for minor crap that QLD Transport seem to think is illegal when it actually isn't. Bloody idiots.

SeaHunt
10-06-2004, 09:48 AM
Mermaids, I think the truckies nicknamed em that, ie "my name" with scales. ;D ;D

propdinger
10-06-2004, 09:55 AM
i might have to get a 6 foot tinnie and fill it with concrete and tell them there scales are out..hehe ::)

SNELLY
10-06-2004, 10:03 AM
On a similar line I have heard that the police are waiting near boat ramps and getting people for not securing their boats.

ie no strap holding the boat onto the trailer

MY-TopEnder
10-06-2004, 10:16 AM
yeah well thats just plain stupidity really... and downright dangerous.

bidkev
10-06-2004, 12:15 PM
<thinks> Mermaids eh?

3 tents, stoves and gas bottles and all clothing and equipment for 7........ 60 litres of water and food for 7 for 5 days......full tank......all tackle, bait and crab pots......2 slabs......2 casks of chateau de carboard box..........anything I forgot?

Am I in trouble lads?

cheers

kev

aido
10-06-2004, 01:15 PM
On a similar line I have heard that the police are waiting near boat ramps and getting people for not securing their boats.

ie no strap holding the boat onto the trailer

we often see small tinnies with a cargo strap over the transom
area securing the boat to the trailer. looking at larger boats
especially fibreglass 5-7 mtr types the practice seems non-existant.
is the risk of a heavy boat jumping off the trailer any
less than a lightweight boat doing the same??
i think the physics of momentum are in favour of a larger rig,
though a point must be reached when a negative g is present
no matter how heavy the boat is.
say launching over a crest at 100ks, would be stupid to do that,
but all the same, should large boats be tied down to be
legally towed?

aido

The_Walrus
10-06-2004, 02:03 PM
I've seen plenty of big rig lift up off the trailer especially when going over speed bumps and that's only going slow.

God forbib if they hit a pothole at highway speed.

You got to be crazy to tow your rig no matter what size with out a restraint at the back.

Same at the front end, no chain to stop forward movement in case of sudden stops. Most winch posts could not take the strain.

Luc

The_Walrus
10-06-2004, 02:03 PM
I've seen plenty of big rig lift up off the trailer especially when going over speed bumps and that's only going slow.

God forbib if they hit a pothole at highway speed.

You got to be crazy to tow your rig no matter what size with out a restraint at the back.

Same at the front end, no chain to stop forward movement in case of sudden stops. #Most winch posts could not take the strain.

Luc

MTpockets
10-06-2004, 02:37 PM
Rather than using a strap across the boat, I am in favour of a pair of stern straps for larger boats. They not only hold the boat down, but also stop forward movement, and rear movement. I installed a set on my last boat, a heavy glass boat and it worked a treat. I had a lot more peace of mind travelling as well as less fuss to put on and take off. For the price I say stern straps are value for money and effective.
cheers
Les

freefish
10-06-2004, 03:14 PM
I was told when I bought my 5 mtr that a strap was not needed as the weight of the boat was enough to keep it on the trailer. A couple of years later going up a long low hill I saw the boat slide onto the road. The drain holes in the winch post had clogged & the post rusted from the insde out. Ever afterward always travelled with 2 chains at stern holding tight to trailer & forward chain pushing against those. 3 way tie down & not reliant on winch post. Bit more trouble to undo but no more insurance claims.

oscar
10-06-2004, 04:09 PM
duckbill, having owned an unbraked trailer, and loaded the boat with a week's camping gear and supplies many times, I often thought if I ever had a accident, or hit someone, would the insurance company pay up! (I don't think so) I now have a new braked trailer, and the piece of mind is worth the money. I also have twin straps at the rear and a chain with a turnbuckel in the front. oscar.

bungie
10-06-2004, 05:27 PM
So you have a chain from the winch eyelet of the boat #back towards the ass of the trailer ?

oscar
10-06-2004, 05:33 PM
No, from the winch eyelet of the boat, down to an eye on the drawbar, to hold the front of the boat down tight on the rollers.

bungie
10-06-2004, 05:51 PM
ohh ok

bidkev
10-06-2004, 05:53 PM
A word of warning about those straps.......you can tighten 'em too much. I saw a guy pumping away at one whilst he was talking to another guy. Mustn't have had his eye on the job, he actually forced his boat down onto the trailer and crushed his keel.

cheers

kev

Kerry
13-06-2004, 10:05 AM
Some more. "Operation Safe Tow" is what is in the pipeline and about 5 (maybe 4 now) weeks away.

Unless one has an extremely old trailer then it's going to be difficult to claim the 1.5 times the towing vehicle rule since Cat 1 trailers are those manufactured on or after July 1, 1990. Cat 2, 3 and 4 are those prior to this date.

I put mine over DoT scales this morning, ah lets just say we did it twice :-X.

Cheers, Kerry.

StuH
14-06-2004, 10:07 AM
A mate of mine has a 4.55 Polycraft centre console, 60HP Yamaha 4 Stroke and put it over the scales the other day. Without all the gear he takes away and not sure how much fuel was onboard it topped out at 880Kgs. He was very surprised and is now fitting brakes to his trailer, just to comply, as it seems these seem to rarely work properly.

Stu.

MY-TopEnder
14-06-2004, 04:45 PM
I saw a pretty interesting one today... it was a Pajero iO. Now these things are only small, and i think they're only 4cyl. This bloody thing was towing a rather large (i'm guessing 6mtr) Haines Signature glass boat... fair enough it was a dual axle braked trailer but cmon that has to me dangerous.