PDA

View Full Version : best way to transport boat from Melbourne to Perth

pepsicola1
11-06-2004, 02:59 PM
Hi

Am trying to find the best and cheapest way to get a boat delivered from Melbourne to Perth. If anybody has any experience/suggestions, would be appreciated.

Cheers

Rob

Mr__Bean
12-06-2004, 12:14 AM
Hello Rob,

It depends on the size of your boat. Most transport between Melbourne and Perth goes either by container on the train or within enclosed semi trailers.

If your boat and trailer is less than 2.25 metres at the widest point and not too high it should go within one of these, it is then a matter of going through the Yellow Pages enquiring about standby "backload" rates.

If it is greater than that width it is harder as not many trucks go over with open decks.

I have recently brought an 8 metre plate ally boat the other way from Perth to Melbourne, it required a "Drop Deck" due to its height but I was able to get it over for about $1200.

What size is the boat?

- Bean

pepsicola1
12-06-2004, 06:39 PM
Hi Mr Bean...

The boat is a 5.3m stessl truck. Not sure if it is wider than 2.25 meters. Pretty sure it won't be but it will be close.

Unfortunately here in WA we import more goods into the state so I think back loads to the east are probably cheaper. I have heard that freight costs on trailcrafts are cheaper due to this fact. Not sure if the dealers pass this saving on to the public though.

Can I ask who you went through as $1200 seems like a good deal for that size boat.

Ihave been told that sometimes the boats can get damaged when coming over by road.

If I could find someone coming over on the indian pacific I could get them to put it on the back of there car and bring it over that way.

Cheers

Rob

Mr__Bean
13-06-2004, 02:04 AM
Rob,

Unfortunately I think you are right with the reduced occurence of back loads, but you have got to try, the savings are worth the wait.

The company I used was Piperside Logistics, 17 Vale St Malaga WA, 6090.

Speak with Ken Ellul, he looked after me. They were WELL below their nearest competitior and the load was fully insured.

http://www.pipersidelogistics.com/

They have a depot in Laverton and one on the eastern side as well.

- Bean

Mr__Bean
13-06-2004, 02:05 AM
Another.

- Bean

bungie
13-06-2004, 02:32 AM
pepsi,

Remember the size is not the boat but from the trailer hitch to the tip of the outboard

pepsicola1
14-06-2004, 09:01 PM
Hi "Mr bean"

All good advice. Spoke to Ken from piperside, was very informative. Said I was looking at about $1650 which sounds about right. He pointed out the cost of fuel at the moment and how it was increasing freight prices.

Good thing is that their freight terminal is on the same road as the boat shop so that is good.

Will let you know how I go.

Cheers

Rob