PDA

View Full Version : Alum boat pods

Dillon
10-06-2004, 12:32 PM
I am going to have my boat re-welded along the keel(thanks for the help with that to the Guys that posted ) and was thinking of having a transom pod put on the back at the same time
Was wondering what they are like ,how they affect the boats handeling and what not????

dnej
10-06-2004, 01:45 PM
Dillon , the problem some extensions, is that they put the weight a long way back on your trailer, by pushing the motor back.
However if you build two pods one on either side of your motor,where it currently is situated,the pods give you great stability, extra speed ,and get your boat out of the hole very well.
I have done mine, and I am rapped.
Regards David

The_Walrus
10-06-2004, 01:55 PM
David,

What size boat and who did the job (assuming after-market add-ons).

I'd be interested in adding a pair too. With my delicate weight and a four stroke, my boat is bum heavy.

It gets out of the hole ok since fitting a permatrim but some more floatation would be good.

Luc

peterbo3
11-06-2004, 06:37 AM
Most pods are an extra 300-400 mm long. You can normally move your winch post forward this distance which brings the pod over your rear rollers & supports your O/B. You will need to make some adjustment to your rollers as well.
I recently put on a new 4 90 HP stroke & needed extra buoyancy for the extra 50 kg. Handling is better if anything. See Bart at AMM at Brendale. Pics are in earlier thread on Lightning modifications.

dnej
11-06-2004, 01:52 PM
My boat is, or was until I got the pods added, a 17 feet stessl, cuddy cab.
How this all started, was because I wanted to add two Marlin boards, for ease of getting into the boat.
The boat guy recommended that I build them as a pod, on each side, to support the weight in the rear end.
Two batteries, fuel tank,bait boards ,lunch etc.
Rule of thumb, 1 litre pod, carries one kilo weight. My pods 80 litres, therefore 80 kilos each.
Dont have to trim much these days, and will take off the stingray.
Also great for having a HO Hum, over the back, as required, as you can actually stand out on them.I weigh 110 kg, so they do they job.
Any questions, email me
Regards David

Big_Kev
11-06-2004, 05:13 PM
My boat has a pod since the day it was built.
Now I would not have a boat without it simply for the extra use you get from the boat with it.
I sit on the back of the boat with my feet on the pod to fish and can stand out the back of the boat to take a piss.
The motor is out of the way and easily accessed and I mounted the bait tank on one side.
Definitly worth spending the money on.

Dillon
16-06-2004, 05:32 AM
Know u have realy got me thinking,
I am considering getting 2 pods one on each side mainly because my traler is not setup for much more stress and the cost sounds big (ur boat is sic Peter).
I came across aboat at the ramp the other day that had fiberglass pods on the back, couldent get mush info from the guy as he only got the boat that week
but that would be a cheep alturnitive as I could build them myself
has anyone else seen or heard of them or know of anyone who makes them?
thanke for the info