PDA

View Full Version : Plough Anchors

Morlers
16-06-2004, 02:20 PM
I will be picking up my new Haines Hunter Breeze 510 in the next few days...finally here. I was wondering what anchor to get for it, either a sand anchor and reef pick or a plough anchor plus a reef pick. Has anyone had experience with plough anchors and are they recommended for boats of 5.1mtr length? Any information would be greatly appreciated.

:) :)
Morlers

bigbrian47
16-06-2004, 03:20 PM
morlers i've used both plough @ sand anchors on a similar size boat for years i think the plough is a better anchor but as i anchor from the side all the time the sand anchor is easier to stow when not in use,both are only as good as the chain you
use ie length @ weight hope this helps
cheers brian

ken4159
17-06-2004, 11:45 AM
morlers, i use a plough anchor on a 5.5 metre boat with 6 metres of chain, anchor has held in 30Knots + no problems

oscar
17-06-2004, 12:42 PM
Morlers, I have used both, I believe the plow is the better anchor, (around the Pin in mud it goes deeper), have had boats drag past in a blow. I now use a size bigger sand anchor only because it stows easier.
oscar

baldyhead
17-06-2004, 12:49 PM
Hi Morlers, I have had a nasty experience with a plough some years ago. The chap whose boat i found drifting about 5klm from Bathurst Bay Beach in PC Bay, failed to put his motor in reverse and properly bury the plough. He anchored over an eel grass flat and his anchor just skated on top of the grass. He and his crew went for a walk and when they came back their boat was gone. Lucky I was in the area and spotted them waving madly @ me as i went past. I use a plough all the time but you must remember to bury it properly.
Baldy

Mudcrab
17-06-2004, 01:04 PM
Plow anchors - don't leave home without one!

Morlers
17-06-2004, 03:53 PM
Thanks for the replies guys. You've convinced me.
Muchly appreciated.

:) :)
Morlers