PDA

View Full Version : "Power Winch" clutch problem.

oscar
11-06-2004, 01:11 PM
Has anyone had a problem with their trailer "Power Winch", in that, when retrieving the boat, the clutch needs to be retightened a number of times to get the boat fully up.
Maybe it may need new clutch pads, does anyone know who can supply parts?
Thanks for any help,
oscar.

lucifer
13-06-2004, 05:07 PM
Gday Oscar. It sounds like when you are retrieving your boat you are not tightening it up enough to start with. The more the boat comes out of the water the heavier the load put on the winch. If your winch is R.S you should be able to see your outboard mechanic or boat yard and they will set you straight. Honestly though mate, unless you own a Haines Formula or similar size boat I suggest you go for a geared winch. I had an electric on a Haines 560F [tinka trailer] It was absolutley useless and I couldnt get rid of it quick enough. Not only that, I was able to retrieve my boat so much faster and it cost a damn sight less than repairs to the electric winch. Food for thought anyway Oscar. The less time you spend on the ramp the better anyway. Too many people in too much of a rush these days. Watch out for 'RAMP RAGE' Good Luck. P.S Try Whitworths or BLA websites.

oscar
13-06-2004, 05:32 PM
Thanks for the reply, have tried Whitworths, they only sell spare plugs & cable, will try BLA.

Hagar
13-06-2004, 06:33 PM
G'day Oscar
Is your winch used or have you had it since new ? Reason for asking is my mate had a similar problem and it turned out after I had a fiddle with his clutch that it had been incorrectly assembled and there was a spring missing from under the tensioning knurled ring for the clutch which allowed the tension to be lost easily and the disks slipped. Would doubt the clutch disks could wear out as they are pretty thick .Can only suggest you check out another of the same type at the ramp or check the parts diagram at a supplier if you can find one . Memory is a little hazy on this one as it was a few moons ago.
Chris

oscar
14-06-2004, 04:41 AM
I think it has been taken apart at some time. During this week I'll disassemble it and see if I can find why when the motor drives the clutch unscrews. Chris, the parts diagram would be the way to go.
I'll put up another post seeing if anyone with a diagram, is willing to photocopy it for me. Probably on Tuesday, unless someone reads this.
Thanks
oscar

charleville
15-06-2004, 03:49 PM
I have had a problem in the past with the clutch slipping which means that the cable moves slow and the winch does not exhibit its full power and the clutch screw/nut needs regular tightening. (That I spray a bit of WD40 generously inside the cable housing does not help.)

Anyway, the winch is easy to disassemble and reassemble, except that I lost a circlip and has to buy a new one from Supercheap (or any spare parts place - just a standard circlip - 40 cents.)

I cleaned the clutch plates in metho and then lightly sanded them to get a rough surface. Someone on another fishing website told me to do that.

It all worked a charm. Very easy to do and very effective. Give it atry.

Heath
16-06-2004, 11:08 AM
Get onto www.powerwinch.com

Send them an email your problem. They'll most likely have a diagram for the winch as well.

oscar
16-06-2004, 12:39 PM
Thanks for all the hints, have winch off the trailer, ready to disect. Soon as I get off here, i'll send the e-mail. I'll post the results from them as soon as I hear back. A couple of non members are also interested. (Expect the best weather of the year for the rest of the week, while I play with the above!) ;)

oscar

oscar
16-06-2004, 01:26 PM
Heath,
Powerwinch's website, has an four page, exploded view of the winch with part numbers, also an eight page owner's manual, with troubleshooting. I have sent them an e-mail anyhow.
oscar

Heath
16-06-2004, 04:16 PM
Good one! I didn't have a good look around their website. Will go & save the one for my Powerwinch ;)

oscar
17-06-2004, 12:28 PM
The winch is now fine. What I found, was the clutch plate was polished, I roughed it up, also the clutch shaft has two needle roller bearings and two thrust bearings, the grease had gone solid and didn't allow any adjustment. They were cleaned and regreased.
Thanks for the hints,
oscar

charleville
17-06-2004, 07:25 PM
Bewdy.

An easy job which gives a very good return on the investment in time.