PDA

View Full Version : new motor

storky
18-06-2004, 06:10 AM
Hi to all I have a 560 quintrex and I have just change the motor over from a 90 yamaha to a 115 yamaha four stroke. The balance of the boat is out. I was wondering if I mover the fuel tank up would this fix up the balance and keep the nose down ? .storky

mackmauler
18-06-2004, 08:25 AM
possibly, id prefer to add sand as the tank may not like the pounding at the front :-/

dnej
18-06-2004, 08:38 AM
Hey ,Storky, what did you do with the 90 Yammie?
David

Big_Kev
18-06-2004, 09:11 AM
I would move the tank.
You may have to put a longer breather hose on.
My tank is well forward and it hasn't been a prob and the hull sits very flat at rest.

megafish71
18-06-2004, 11:28 AM
G'day Storky
My old boat was a 2000 model 560 Quintrex Ledgend and I also had it powered with a 115hp yamy 4 banger. We had the same idea of moving the tank further forward, however after consulting with Quintrex they didn't recommend moving the tank forward as the extra pounding put on the tank could cause it to split or break free from its mounts. So I decided to build an esky under the floor in the area where I was going to move the petrol tank to. This added a great amount of weight to the required area. I also fitted some wedges to the outboard to give more neg trim. This worked very well in the rough weather and I would recomend that you talk to you dealer about fitting wedges before you start moving things around in the boat.

Cheers Ron

dazza
18-06-2004, 11:42 AM
storky,
have you thought about trim tabs?
they would give you a fair bit of arse lift.
cheers
dazza

MTpockets
19-06-2004, 06:38 AM
Storky,
My old Savage glass boat had a porpise problem as well due to the fact the transum was fairly flat. I installed wedges and that made the problem 50% better. I was also told to carry some sand in the nose as well, and that fixed it 100%. Dont move the tank or the battery/s up front cos like the guys have said, the pounding will cause problems. I like the idea of speaking to the manufacturer, they should have the solution for you.
cheers
Les
PS My father in-law used trim tabs to great effect on his CruiseCraft. They make a big difference but cost a bit for a good set.

NQCairns
19-06-2004, 10:56 AM
Hi Storky Bennetts trim tabs are great, here is the next best thing - do a search on smart tabs, around $170 US will give you a boat that behaves very well.nq