PDA

View Full Version : Transducers through the floor

dnej
11-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Gidday all,
I know floor mounting a transducer on the floor , works well in fibre glass boats, but what about aluminium. Do they still work or does the alloy interfere with the signal?
Thanks David

Kerry
12-06-2004, 04:31 AM
Alloy, No.

Cheers, Kerry.

Smithy
12-06-2004, 12:24 PM
Been in a plate alloy Try Gull Wing which had a wet box for a Koden colour sounder and it worked fine. He was just using water but I think you get a better result with I think it is glycerine.

gif
12-06-2004, 01:35 PM
FYI

The Furuno tech staff did some tests on a Polycraft with the transducer in a huge blob of silicone ( Selleys all Clear) - in the lower hull and had no discernable loss of image.
Gary

BladeRunner
15-06-2004, 04:55 PM
Hi dnej
I run with transducer mounted on the floor aluminiam, just shot of midway from the stern on a flat base, when you fix it to the floor it is important to displace the air from between the face of the transducer and the floor.
I used sigaflex most boat shops carry it put the sigerflx as much as you need on to the floor then press the head of the tran into it so as to get rid of any air bubbles
you don't have to cover the lot just build it up around the sides. It's only the face that needs to be firmly attatch in the goo (silcon some have acid in it could course corrosion ) Be careful what you use if you go this way.Keep lead away from electrical cable also.

Now to be shore this works can you fill your boat with water to cover the head of the tranny then find a spot on the floor that the sounder works well and displays the best picture. When you have then stick it in the same spot as per above. Good Luck .

My sounder no lost signal in calm water at hi speed & picture excelant Humminbird
BladeRunner [smiley=bandana.gif]

dnej
16-06-2004, 06:15 AM
Kerry, what makes you say no. Iam keen to get your opinion
Regards David

dnej
16-06-2004, 06:18 AM
Question, if you cant find a perfectly flat spot, can one side be built up with silicone,to level the transducer?
David

bugman
16-06-2004, 06:28 AM
this post now affects me gentlemen and I'm keen for some more opinions.

I'm going to add a Furuno colour 668 to the new plate hull Lightning. I've got a through hull transducer which I was hoping to sell and pick up a transom mount.

If I went with the thru hull I do I get it to the skin of the hull on my boat - probably only possible at the back near the bilge - would this also cause interference.

Failing that anyone want a Furuno 688 thru hull transducer which is only 8 months old?

Bugman

BladeRunner
17-06-2004, 08:06 AM
The Transducer I use is a tri beam
It is mounted slightly on a slope, because of this the beam on the port side has a slightly wider reach if you get my drift .
But to make it level you can build it up, when the base is prepaired level push the head of the transducer into it cover around sides let the stuff go hard the try it at various depths.
Bugman . How often do you use your bildge?

BladeRunner [smiley=bandana.gif]

bugman
17-06-2004, 10:17 AM
Bladerunner - as yet none - picking up the boat this weekend.

However the design of the boat has any water that makes it onto the deck syphons into the back hold where the bilge is. Also there is an integral esky in the cab which I assume allows the runoff from the bottom to go through to the hull. Not sure where else it could do.

I think I'll still be looking for a transom mount.

Bugman

Smithy
19-06-2004, 12:16 PM
I don't think I would be trying the silicon to the floor trick with an alloy boat. Mates tried it on their cat that had alloy pods. You lose too much power. The other guys boat that had the wet box worked like a dream. Angle of the bottom doesn't matter as you cut your PVC pipe or whatever you are making your wet box out of to the right angle. Will try and draw picture.

Smithy
19-06-2004, 12:47 PM
Here is my pickarseo.