PDA

View Full Version : 5.6 m fibre glass

caveman
15-06-2004, 05:55 PM
how much would you expect to pay(rough estimate) for half cabin with all saftey gear sounder radio 200johnson(1980model)boat is also old

Needmorerum
15-06-2004, 06:22 PM
Don't have or can get a photo hey caveman, what make of boat is it, does it need repair, is it seaworthy?
To me, the motor is the important part, if the hull is good, even if it needs a coat of paint, there is no problem, but if the outboard is US, rowing sucks.
I look at these thing as though, what would it be worth after forking out for a new outboard if this one dies. It could turn into an expensive project.
Hows that, rambled on and still didn't answer your question, no wonder I'm doing alright at work.

Corry

drevil
16-06-2004, 05:20 AM
Hi Caveman

I bought a 5.5m glass half cab, 1989 Mustang, about 10 months ago for about $8,000. It has a 100 Merc with usual safety gear (inc EPIRB) and is in real good nick. The donk's about a 1990/1991 vintage and has supposedly been reworked, but if it was newer they'd be asking a bit more that $8K.

caveman
16-06-2004, 03:56 PM
ok will go and have a look at it again on the w/end and get brand and any other info i can on it

peterbo3
17-06-2004, 05:55 AM
Gary,
All I can suggest is that you stay right away from 25 year old motors. An older hull is fine as you can check it out for rot, stress cracks, delamination, etc but you really are taking a big punt with a donk that old. An older hull with a new or near new motor is the best way to go. What is your budget? A 17ft VC hull & trailer has been less than $5000 in the Trading Post. #

caveman
19-06-2004, 04:33 PM
yeah its a swift brand it also has epirb & fire exstinguisher a fairly large bait board on the back and it is sea worthy no rot or anything in that way , the boat is a 80 model, not the motor where do you find the age of a motor

Needmorerum
19-06-2004, 09:51 PM
You would probably have to ask him Gary, I wouldn't even know where to find it on mine and it isn't even 12 months old yet. I'm sure, without going down to have a look at it, that the only sticker on the motor is the sticker which tells you what size it is in HP and KW, and it's weight. I might be wrong, but if you had a look at it and nothing stood out then the best bet would be to ask him.

Corry

MTpockets
20-06-2004, 07:41 AM
When I bought my boat it was a 1986 model boat with a 1988 Suzuki 25hp and a new trailer. The boat was in A1 cond and trailer being new..... the only area I could see a problem arising was if I could trust the motor. I decided to buy a brand new motor which made the package a very up to date clean and safe setup. The Suzuki turned out to be a really good motor. I sold it to my son in-law and its going really well. BUT I wasnt going to trust a motor that was 16 years old. For a total cost of $7,100 I probably saved myself about 5 grand or more as opposed to a brand new setup.

My advice is to always buy a new motor, and fit it to a good sound seconhand boat if budget is tight.
cheers
Les

caveman
20-06-2004, 02:08 PM
the prob is to put a new motor on it would cost me around 15-25k and thats just not an option

blaze
20-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Hi caveman
If you are a little handy you can buy a project and do a refit, there is a lot of cheap boats about if you look around. I picked up a 90 model 115 merc with 200 hrs for $2800 and thats a top motor
so dont be in a hurry and the dream boat doesnt need to cost a mint
cheers
blaze

aido
20-06-2004, 03:38 PM
the boat is a 80 model, not the motor where do you find the age of a motor

have a look for the engine data plate. it's usually riveted onto
the transom bracket. if it does'nt have the year of manufacture,
then it can be found from the model/serial number on
the plate. if ordering parts, always quote the serial number
anyhow. a parts supplier can look up the year of manufacture
from the serial number. might even get it from the internet.

edit..
found this link should sort it out,
http://www.marineengine.com/manuals/johnson/