PDA

View Full Version : Trailor Locking devices

Snap
16-06-2004, 06:19 PM
Just got my next insurance policy, :o gone up again, but it's was worth getting just for the info booklets. ???
Anyhow they said that you must have a locking device or pay a $500 theft excess if your boat goes missing, >:(
Qu, what do people recommend.

bungie
16-06-2004, 06:23 PM
Pay the bucks and get a good one that wraps around the hitch, about $70

Snap
16-06-2004, 06:27 PM
I see www.klampit.com.au has a few, but it's $199

bungie
16-06-2004, 06:29 PM
like the idea of the trailer post there tho

searaider
16-06-2004, 07:28 PM
If you have a look in the Trailer lock add at the top of the Boating Chat Section , Ausfish sell Trailer Locking devices .
I have a hitch helmet on my rig , the good part of it is that you can use it to lock the trailer onto the car while travelling .
Can't rember what I payeed for it , but I rember that it was't
cheap .

Peter
Searaider 2

dnej
17-06-2004, 05:56 AM
Whitworths have them on special, for under $30

DaneCross
17-06-2004, 07:15 AM
Why not support Ausfish by purchasing a Couple-mate http://www.ausfish.com.au/trailer/ ;)

nonibbles
17-06-2004, 08:39 AM
Got a couple mate. Bloody good thing. Only problem is my brain.
It keeps forgetting to lock into gear before backing the trailer down the ramp to retrieve the boat. Make sure you remove it from the trailer before driving off. Easy to forget after a long day on the water. It hasn't been a bad problem but certainly not recommended to leave it on whilst underway - if you lock the chain into it it can limit your ability to steer and it certainly limits the up and down pivoting movement of the coupling on the tow ball. It could contribute to an accident of some sort. Must add to basic safety check before leaving the car park.
I'm about to attach one of those orange bike flags to the side of mine so I can see it in the rear view mirror as a reminder. Just hope my brain remembers what I put it there for in the first place! :P

whiteman
17-06-2004, 09:07 AM
Make sure you add the hitch pin lock. At $25 it's a great price.

Hagar
17-06-2004, 10:01 AM
Check the fine print on your policy regarding this or better still contact your insurer for clarification . Some insurers insist on an approved ( by them ) device and I can tell you it rules out most of the devices at the cheaper end of town . I have no complaints about my hitch helmet except the price $190 .

Chris

simonfish
17-06-2004, 11:21 AM
I have a hitch helmet as well, I leave it on while driving and reversing, etc. and don't have any concerns re: the trailer jumping off the towbar at 110km on the highway, and while it does cost around $190, when you are securing a $24,000+ boat/trailer/motor, I think it is money well spent.
It also secures the trailer when at home (off the trailer).

it is also one of the approved security devices (from club marine anyway).

cheers,

Simon

Mudcrab
17-06-2004, 01:08 PM
A Rotweiller and one Alsation - preferably kinda lean and hungry!

Cheech
17-06-2004, 04:08 PM
Nonibbles,

You should do what I do. Before I read my fine print and realised I was uninsured without a propper lock, I just used a chain and padlock. So after I got my propper lock, I still put the chain around the traiper wheel. Have alloys so fits through. So when I get my trailer I have to remove the chain so is a very big reminder to remove the trailer lock as well.

I keep using the chain because I am paranoid of coming back from fishing and finding the car stolen, but more so, stolen and taking the trailer with it. What the hell do you do at 10.00pm at night and a boat with no trailer? oops, gotta go. Origin just started.

Cheech

Snap
21-06-2004, 06:18 PM
Thanks all for replies.
Helmet hitch will be my next buy.
Hey Cheech, i'm more paranoid about my trailor, the car belongs to work. :-X

gunna
22-06-2004, 08:10 AM
Got a couple mate. #Bloody good thing. #Only problem is my brain. #
It keeps forgetting to lock into gear before backing the trailer down the ramp to retrieve the boat. #Make sure you remove it from the trailer before driving off. #Easy to forget after a long day on the water. #It hasn't been a bad problem but certainly not recommended to leave it on whilst underway - if you lock the chain into it it can limit your ability to steer and it certainly limits the up and down pivoting movement of the coupling on the tow ball. #It could contribute to an accident of some sort. #Must add to basic safety check before leaving the car park.
I'm about to attach one of those orange bike flags to the side of mine so I can see it in the rear view mirror as a reminder. #Just hope my brain remembers what I put it there for in the first place! :P

Nonibbles - I travel with mine on all the time. Done some very long trips too. Am I doing something wrong here ?problem ?