PDA

View Full Version : Prop. Questions

Streaker
22-06-2004, 05:33 AM
I'm thinking about putting a new prop on the boat. The guys at Solas have recomended a 4 blade 17inch stainless. Would anyone have any knowledge about these props or any useful information would be appreciated.
Thanks Wayne

NQCairns
22-06-2004, 09:41 AM
Hi the guys at solas should know there product is my guess. Will they allow you to pay for the prop then do some intensive testing? ie keep swaping props until you find one that works well.

First up unless you have the engine at the right height you will be wasting your time reproping untill it is.
A 4 blade can give good bite at low planing speeds if the engine height is set up.
They can also lower your top speed.
They can also increase fuel consumption at cruise.
There is no way to know if a 3 blade or another style of 4 blade would have done a better job without testing them - after setting the motor up.
If you are out of warrenty and want max life and performance out of the engine prop for 5800 typical load, no matter what you do not want to see under 5550 wot revs in any situation. cheers nq

peterbo3
22-06-2004, 03:48 PM
Wayne,
Why would you want to go faster? You need seatbelts as it is. ??? ::) ::) ::)
I believe SOLAS will allow you to try different props on the river at MDore but a new 4 blader won't be cheap.

Mr__Bean
22-06-2004, 09:07 PM
I currently have a 200hp mercury on the back of a 5.65 Fraser.

Last year I had my standard aluminium prop in for minor repair at a local dealer before heading off for annual holidays.

As my holidays come closer I started to sweat because he didn't have my prop back in time. The dealer ended up lending me a 5 blade stainless prop for the holiday on the understading that if I bent it then it was mine to be bought (nearly 2 grand).

Well boy what a difference it made to my boat.

Whilst I wasn't interested in top end speed as the 200 pushed well beyond what I needed anyway, the 5 bladed prop made it into a different boat all together than that with the 3 blade prop.

The boat literally jumped out of the water when you put the power on, but the biggest difference I noticed was the boat performance in a choppy sea.

When the boat hit a choppy wave with the standard prop it tended to be slowed by the impact with the wave, the boat lifts a bit and your body leans forward as the boat slows a bit before recovering and hitting the next wave.

I just thought this was par for the course.

But my god, with the 5 balde prop the boat just sliced straight threw the wave without hardly feeling it, it was bloody amazing.

I kid you not.

This is the same boat, but the prop made it into a different boat altogether. Even with 200 ponies out the back, the difference was amazing.

My advice, go for the 4 blader if you are in water where you need the extra grip. If you are riding good water and a bit of prop slippage is tolerable, then stay with the 3 blader.

Good luck.

- Bean

Cloud_9
23-06-2004, 01:44 AM
Depending on the Hp of the OB and the weight u have to push props can mean agreat deal performance lose or gain .
biger horses can handle 4 and 5 blades but depending on what your expecting from the 4 blade more blades = more drag if your after speed.
if you want more push than the 4 blade will do that for you.
ive talked to race guys and most of them say if they could balance a 2 blade prop so as not to shake the crap outa the boat they'd race with that.

Cheers Cloud 9

Streaker
23-06-2004, 04:01 AM
Thanks Guys
My main concern was getting better fuel economy and they tell me the 4 blade will hold its speed better on those long trips home. Steve from Solas says that I can buy and them try unless I damage it .
I think I'll order one and give it a burl.
Wayne

Mudcrab
23-06-2004, 04:09 AM
We have 2 x 200 HP 4-stroke Yammies on our primary rescue vessel and swing counter rotating SOLAS 4-bladed S/S props on them. We bought four for $2500. Well worth it! The main feature of a S/S prop is that they stop "blade flutter" that is caused when the aluminium blades start to flex ever so slightly under stress. This disturbs the flow of water across the leading edge of the blades and reduces the effiicency. The take a hell of a beating and can be repaired easily.

dnej
23-06-2004, 05:29 AM
Hey Wayne, you will be getting into trouble with "she that must be obeyed", if you are not careful.
How did your trip go
Regards David