PDA

View Full Version : Looking for help with a large outboard decision

Mr__Bean
22-06-2004, 07:51 PM
G'Day guys,

I am currently shopping around to learn best pricing before going to the Melbourne Boat show for a deal on a new motor to push along an 8 metre plate ally fishing boat.

I am keen on the Yamaha's and have the following options at this stage:

- Last years model 250hp HPDI 2 stroke - around 20 grand fitted
- Current model 225 4 stroke add about a grand
- Current model 300hp HPDI 2 stroke - add about 4 grand
- Pair of 115hp counter rotating 4 strokes - add about 8 grand

What would you guys recommend, and why?

Thanks in advance.

- Bean

megafish71
23-06-2004, 04:07 AM
G'day Mr Bean
Well I can only tell you from my personal experience that the end decision lies with what you intend to do with you rig. I currently run a 200hp 4 stroke Yamaha and would recommend that you should stick with a 4 banger. The fuel ecconomy is brilliant and the noise levels are quite low ( more wind noises than engine noise at speed). A mate of mine is currently re-powering his rig with twin 200hp 4 bangers as he is bitterly disapointed with the fuel ecconomy of his twin 250hp HPDI's. These 250's burn up to 180lph at wot and not much better at cruising speed. So I'd suggest that if you can get a 225hp 4 banger for arround tne $21k mark grab it, as I paid $22k for my 200 in Jan.
Best of luck and let us all know what you end up with.
Cheers Ron

lordy
23-06-2004, 08:47 AM
These 250's burn up to 180lph at wot and not much better at cruising speed. Cheers Ron

:o :o :o You'd need BIG motors to push the boat large enough to carry around the wallet required to pay for the fuel for the BIG motors. Looks like a self fulfilling circle of doom! ;D

davo189
23-06-2004, 12:22 PM
Hey Bean,
I run a 200 HPDI on a 7M F/glass centre cab. The HPDI is quiet, virtually smoke free and the power is awesome. At cruising speed, 3900rpm, she burns around 29L/hr. My guess is that this would equate to around 35-38L/hr on a 250HP.

I had a 115hp 4-stroke on a smaller boat previously and yes the fuel economy was very good. Very quiet at idle but not as quiet as the HPDI at cruising speed. Service costs on the 4-stroke were very noticeably higher.

Cheers, Davo.

davo189
23-06-2004, 12:31 PM
Hey, forgot to mention that the significant weight difference between HPDI and 4S was also a consideration in my decision to go HPDI.
Davo.

MY-TopEnder
23-06-2004, 12:33 PM
I know you mention Yamaha being your preffered brand but have you had a look at the new Supercharged ones? Apparently they're very quite, smooth, and awesome on fuel.

Sportfish_5
23-06-2004, 01:51 PM
Bean

Have a look through some US forum sites regarding the Yammy HPDIs. I don't own one and dont recall seeing/hearing anyone mentioning any problems here but there are a few stories floating around some of these sites about the bigger engines. Maybe some of the guys have an axe to grind too with other issues/motives but it does raise some questions in my mind if the technology is ready/better than a EFI 4 stroker.

Anyway having said that I am the proud owner of a 2000 115hp yammy carb two stroke that so far has not missed a beat (after the power head was replaced under warranty due to carby jet problems early - Yammy handled the whole thing in a first class/professional manner and could not be happier with them)

http://thehulltruth.net/forums/thread-view.asp?tid=28282&start=1

Cheers,

Greg

megafish71
23-06-2004, 01:52 PM
Hey Davo, Yeh your right there is a weight difference between the hpdi and 4 stroke. However on a recent trip out to the reef from here in Cairns I met up with a fellow who has
the same boat as mine (a 615 Yalta) and is running a 200hp optimax, we both covered the same ground for the day and of course the same weather conditions and on returning home we both compaired our fuel usage.
4 stroke yamy 96lts
optimax 135lts
I was amazed at the difference as I nearly bought an optimax myself, I also believe that the optimax gives better fuel ecconomy than the hpdi's but I could be wrong on this as the only hpdi's I have had anything to do with are the 250's on my mates 8mtr Haines.
As for the new verardo's from Mercury only time will tell as with all new technology there maybe some minor problems to sort out. This is what my mate is repowering his Haines with, but their seem a little expensive at around $27k ea for the 200hp up here in Cairns. I'll let you all know what their like when they are fitted up. And if any one wants to buy the twin 250hpdi let me know Ill put you in touch with the guy.
Cheers Ron

NQCairns
23-06-2004, 03:10 PM
Hi Mr Bean,
not bagging any brand just passing on some info I came across that would probably scare me if I was planning to buy a big new engine.

I have been reading around the web lately all the boating forums i could find.

I read that the OPTI's had a horrible run and burnt a lot of people in the past, the new ones are supposed to be good/better finally.

The hpdi's in some large sizes are doing a fict with many people blowing multiple powerheads during warrenty some before the 10hour mark. The Yam dfi's are not sorted yet it seems.
Here are a couple of links to search on, at least the 4stroke outboards have been around for 40+years.

IMHO I would go the 4strokes until the new technology sorts it's self out also the quality control of some manufacturers picks up.

Do a search on HDPI on these forums

http://outdoorsbest.zeroforum.com/zeroforum?id=16

http://thehulltruth.net/forums/forum-view.asp?fid=3

joeT
23-06-2004, 03:43 PM
I'd go the current model 4 stroke. With a motor that size, the savings with fuel (as well as not having to buy 2 stroke oil) will easily make up the $1k difference in price, and then some. The quietness is a bonus.

Mr__Bean
23-06-2004, 11:46 PM
Thanks guys for the feedback.

Stories I get here and also similar from another site that I posted a similar question have spooked me out of buying the HPDI.

Pity because I was getting real keen on the 300hp one.

I can't afford to have trouble so I will be taking the drop in horsepower to get the reliability, and will go with the 4 stroke 225 I think.

For all of the comments, none have been bad for the 4 strokes.

Cheers,

- Bean

megafish71
24-06-2004, 11:52 AM
You won't be disappointed