PDA

View Full Version : Transducer location and setup?

ba229
25-06-2004, 09:49 AM
I know we have touched on transducer locations before but I wanted to post some photos of my current setup to see if you can identify and problems.

The new thread regarding reading sounders has been great and inspired me to get better acquainted with mine.

I am tending to think that my setup is all wrong. At low speeds I can lose reception and have no chance at high speed (15Hp means only 38km/hr :-) )

I can see it is inline with a strake but do I move it in or out?

Also wanted to know if you think the way it is mounted would cause problems such as vibration (ie by being on the end of a pole).

The pole can be moved up and down to get better reception but is fiddley and annoying.

Regards
Alex

ba229
25-06-2004, 09:50 AM
:)

ba229
25-06-2004, 09:50 AM

ba229
25-06-2004, 09:51 AM

dnej
25-06-2004, 10:02 AM
Looks like it is right behind a rib, would I be correct?Any turbulent water, even a weld can cause havoc.Have you tried raising and lowering the position while travelling? This boat aluminium?
Is the transducer clean, no CRC or the likes. Try cleaning it with soapy water. They must get" wetted",especially when not used for long periods
David

blaze
25-06-2004, 10:39 AM
IMO it is on the wrong side of the motor, i am let to believe thats the side with all the prop wash and i feel it is to far astern putting it more into the prop wash. Also feel it is a bit high and the bulk of the pipe to which the tranducer is attached is to bulky and would create a lot of disturbance around the transducer

If It was my rig
I would buy an adjustable tronsom mount bracket and fit directly to the transom on the other side of boat
cheers
blaze

Kerry
25-06-2004, 11:29 AM
Really should be on the other side and especially considering the side it is currently on the distance/offset behind the transom (closer and in-line with the up wash of the prop) would probably create some increased issues?

Cheers, Kerry.

MTpockets
25-06-2004, 11:44 AM
I have a similar boat to yours and my transducer is mounted to the right hand side of the motor. Mine has a cover over the transducer as well, but it sits neat with the transom. I agree with the other guys here, needs to come off the pole and setup on a bracket on the transom opposite side to yours.
cheers
Les

peterbo3
25-06-2004, 12:08 PM
I am with the others but I notice that the rear of the transducer seems to be higher than the front. You will not get a clear water flow over the bottom of the unit at this angle. Suggest adjusting transducer so that rear is lower than front.3-4mm should be enough but it will be easy to adjust using the locking bolt & nut.

MTpockets
25-06-2004, 12:11 PM
yep I agree Peter, it is sitting higher, eyes like an eagle mate :o

bc
25-06-2004, 01:09 PM
peter, couldnt it be argued that when the boat is in the water the transducer would in fact move to a 'more' horizontal position ?

bc

ba229
25-06-2004, 01:30 PM
Thanks for the great feed back guys. It seems that the setup is ALL WRONG :-)

Thats how I got it when I bought the boat and to tell the truth it has always been very unreliable, to the where I don't pay much attention to it.

I've just been looking through the manuals available on the internet and i think i can understand why it is mounted on the wrong side.

It is an eagle magna II and the manual describes the location for a speed indicator (and recommends the port side)

But it also has a seperate manual for the transducer. Yet to figure out which transducer I have so I know I'm reading the right manual.

Will keep you posted.

ba229
25-06-2004, 01:31 PM
Oh yeh. the reason i have it facing down a bit (ie back higher) is because I am 100kg and figured the boat sits lower in the aft when i am onboard :-)

Don't know whether i was doing the right thing or not so keep the observations and suggestions coming

Thanks.

ba229
28-06-2004, 01:47 PM
mounted it striaght to the transom today.

will try and get a test run in next couple of days to see how it goes

ba229
28-06-2004, 01:48 PM
maybe daytime photos would be better :-)

blaze
28-06-2004, 02:41 PM
might need to go down 1/2 inch more, looks heaps better though
cheers
blaze

ba229
28-06-2004, 02:45 PM
yeh sea trials will tell blaze :-)

It is mount as you see with the bolts in the middle of the slots.

So i can go down or up maybe 7mm (ie each way). maybe 10mm if i'm lucky.

Will take it for a ride and fine tune it.

I think the location will be much better now though.

Thanks for your feedback

Regards
Alex

blaze
28-06-2004, 03:54 PM
think your on a winner Alex
cheers
blaze

Mr__Bean
28-06-2004, 05:45 PM
I would drop the back of the transducer down even further, I have one exactly the same as yours on an Eagle fish finder and it holds bottom all the way to 40 knots.

Mine is angled far lower than yours is currently.

- Bean

Cheech
29-06-2004, 04:50 PM
All I can say is I hope you have more luck than me. Unfortunately my bracket broke so cannot use the slides so have to drill through the lot so the transom looks like swiss cheese.

I did have it to work all the time at low and meduim speed, and sometimes at full speed. Interesting that this setting was only after trying out the left side.

Anyway, I had another go and tried it again on the right and even lower with the aid of a bracket, and lost almost all readings.

Looks like it is back to where I had it and be happy with what I had.