PDA

View Full Version : help with old evinrude

cuda
29-06-2004, 01:54 PM
i have a 1978 70 hp evinrude that has a problem and i am after some help or advise
the motor hadn't been started for about 8 months now i have a problem with the water tell tail, what happened is when it had been running on idle for a few minutes i gave it a quick rev of the motor and the water stopped comming out of the tell tail, i have been told that there could be a hole by the exhaust somewhere which is blowing the water back
question 1) is there anyway to tell what the problem could be
question 2) were would be a good place to take it to have it checked out ( i live on the southside of brisbane )
all help and advice is much appreciated

blaze
29-06-2004, 02:12 PM
I think when you give it a rev you have buggered the water pump, the impellor may have gone brittle from sitting around. will find my book later and see what else i can see
cheers
blaze

skelz
29-06-2004, 02:16 PM
mate
i have no idea on the problem but send it to karee marine at rocklea. I had some work done there and cant speak highly enough of them
Regards
Shane Kelley

cuda
29-06-2004, 02:18 PM
thanks for your reply blaze
but it is not the water pump have already checked that and it is in near perfect condition

blaze
29-06-2004, 03:16 PM
when looking at the pump did you try to rotate it on the shaft as some times the key rusts off, about to look at w/shop manual
cheers
blaze

Big_Kev
29-06-2004, 03:19 PM
I was the proud owner of an old Evinrude around the 1980 vintage and it had a hole in the exhaust that came out the side of the leg.
It didn't worry it one bit and still started first time every time even when cold.

blaze
29-06-2004, 03:50 PM
this is a view of the water circuit
cheers
blaze

cuda
29-06-2004, 04:14 PM
i have been told that it could be a little rust hole somewhere near the exhaust were the water passage runs past them, i have had the leg off and had the water pump checked and they told me there was no problems there, i flushed the water system when the leg was off and once it put it back together the tell tail water system was working again until i gave the motor a rev , after a short time it appeared as if exhaust smoke was comming out of it, looking at that diagram i wonder if the exhaust releif valve is conected to the water system in any way
again thanks very much blaze for your time and help
your right reel hard they are a great motor it has never let me down until now, maybe it knows that i am about to start 2 weeks holiday and was planning on using it and it didn't want to go into the cold water

blaze
29-06-2004, 04:33 PM
only ever had i prob with mine, done the brain box, worst part the aux woundnt go either, 300 meter from the ramp, both motors had just had there annual. they are a great workhorse and fairly simple. got to love that
cheers
blaze
ps
its not one of those relief vavles letting go
just a thought

NQCairns
29-06-2004, 07:12 PM
Might be a blown head gasket?
Pull the spark plugs and check if you have any water entering (will clean the bad cylinder plug super clean).

Possibly not the rust hole idea, there is 10 to 16-ish psi of water pressure the exaust gas does not have enough pressure to beat that once it has left the cylinders i would guess. worth a check anyway. cheers nq

MTpockets
29-06-2004, 07:55 PM
Try Logan River Marine at Yatala. When I had my old 60hp evinrude, they looked after her like a baby, cant speak higher of them.
cheers
Les