PDA

View Full Version : Tinnie floor

MTpockets
29-06-2004, 10:48 AM
My 4.1 m Stessel has a full factory floor in it apart from the front seat to the nose. I want to extend it to a full cover floor. The existing floor seems to be marine ply with a fiberglass coating on it, and is excellent.
My question is.... Can you buy something else to coat the marine ply or do you think just paint it? Eventually I want to carpet the floor, so paint may be the way.
Any other suggestions?
cheers
Les

dnej
29-06-2004, 12:14 PM
Les,
Stuff the marine ply, only the glue is different. Use 12 mm structual ply from your hardware store, and rub some lanolin grease into it.Use outdoor carpet from Clarke rubber,instead of the expensive marine carpet.Great stuff, and half the price
David
That will cost you a beer.

Big_Kev
29-06-2004, 03:28 PM
Les in the past to seal the timber I have used some stuff from the hardware that is painted to the walls in the bathroom to make them waterproof and I have just laid the carpet over that.
I have never had a problem with doing that.
I don't think there is any need to buy the expensive timber, and I think that even the manufacturers use the cheap stuff.
(Disclaimer; I am not saying that all manufacturers use the cheap stuff, so Quintrex owners don't get on the high horse OK, [smiley=angryfire.gif])

eggbeater
29-06-2004, 05:22 PM
Giday Les Have found using any old oil based paint will do the trick to seal your ply before carpeting.

NQCairns
29-06-2004, 06:45 PM
For an extra 15 or 20% $ per sheet try treated ply then seal.nq

snapperhead
29-06-2004, 09:35 PM
Hey Les think it is Hoges Hardware and timber on loganlea service road opposite supercheap has that black ply they use for concrete form work. Cheap think it was only $50 for a 8x4 15mm sheet it's great stuff although the black stuff is slippery in the wet so carpet is a good idea. Think it is seconds some laminates don't stick but I cut mine in to several pieces and never found any faults and just sealed the edges with enamel paint.

MTpockets
30-06-2004, 05:23 AM
Thanks for the info guys, very helpful. When you think about it I spose it dont have to be marine ply at all.
Structial ply or the black stuff like suggested will do as well, and the cheap carpet is the go.
Thanks again.
cheers
Les

SeaHunt
30-06-2004, 09:26 AM
Even Bunnings stock marine carpet these days, probably only need 2 metres for your tinnie. Mose well do it all at once now, save stuffing around later pulling it up to carpet it. 8)

zedjack33
30-06-2004, 09:34 AM
Les, for my tinny I grabbed some form fly from a concreting place [smiley=uhoh.gif] and then I was lucky enoughh to grab some matting wich wass used as a golfing green. All weather proof and puts up with alot of crap. May be worth a thought, even cricket pitsh matting works a treat [smiley=thumbsup.gif]

Cheers Zedjack33

dnej
30-06-2004, 12:37 PM
Les, I used Selleys contact cement, to fix down some Velcroe, to the floor,then the opposite on the underside of the carpet,also with the same glue. As the outdoor carpet is rubber backed, the glue sticks well,like "thit" to the proverbial
blanket.
Take care if using lanolin, as the glue doesnt like it. Glue on the velcroe first.
David