PDA

View Full Version : Battery Power

macca
30-06-2004, 07:17 PM
Question on wiring batteries

I want to fish a few electric only dams with my 445 Hornet with Minn Kota auto pilot 55.

Currently have supercharge 130amp deep cycle.

I want to have another deep cycle on board for lets say insurance in case my 130 amp runs low.

How do I wire the second battery?

Do I connect the positive from each battery together and same with negative or do I connect the positive to negative and same with other connection to achieve continuous 12 volt power?

The second battery will be a termpory connection, in case my power gets low.

Advise please

Thanks

Macca

I'm no electrical expert!

snapperhead
30-06-2004, 09:53 PM
hey macca hooking the battery up pos to neg will give you 24v and hooking battery up pos to pos, neg to neg will give you one big 12v battery not sure as I don't have a electric myself but if you want it as a spare u might be best to have them hooked up with an battery isolator switch that you can switch from one battery to the other then you always have a spare to get back.

blaze
01-07-2004, 02:39 AM
I think I would go with the isolator/dual battery switch, you can buy one for about $25, make it nice and simple
cheers
blaze

dnej
01-07-2004, 03:36 PM
If you want a back up , dont connect them as one unit, definately,use a isolation switch, battery 1 or 2 or both.
Hooking them together only means that it takes longer for a crook battery to go flat, as they will drain one to the other, and equalise.
Definately stay one at a time, and charge them regularly at your home base, using a float charger.
David

caveman
01-07-2004, 04:23 PM
DO NOT CONNECT + TO - AS THIS WILL GIVE YOU 24V AND WILL BURN YOUR 12V MOTOR OUT GO WITH WHAT THE OTHER GUYS ARE RECOMENDING