PDA

View Full Version : Trailcraft 5.8 Centrecab

Whiley_Whiting
08-06-2004, 02:19 PM
Anyone out there own one of the above or heard any good/bad reports on them? I am currently in the process on hunting one down but would love to hear from someone about the boat. I am thinking a honda 130 or similiar size four stroke would do the trick - I dont mind paying the extra now as fuel economy and subsequently greater travelling distance is more important to me.

Boat will mainly be used for fishing hervey bay area extending up to top of fraser for camping week/weekends.

Any comments welcome !

Outsider
08-06-2004, 03:02 PM
Awesome looking boat that I was seriously looking at - I don't think you could go too far wrong with a Trailcraft. Spoke to several dealers and even the factory - you might be waiting a while.

BUT - hideously overpriced for what is essentially a centre console with a slightly larger console. Almost $50k with a 115hp 4 stroke and pretty basic options - 130hp will see you up and over $50 - apparently. Too rich for my blood.

Several of the QLD based custom builders will build you the same thing for mid to high $30s to as much $$$ as you like. Wait to produce might even end up the same. $50 would buy a pretty snazzy Fisher or JBS

And the overwhelming decider from me was the fact that trying to "screw the dealer" for a better price got me a big fat "It's a Trailcraft mate - if you don't wanna pay the price, there are lot's who will" response - which makes me mad as hell.

Sportfish_5
08-06-2004, 03:17 PM
I had a look at their centre cab model as well. A weekender in there would be pushing friendships I think but they certainly look like a good fishing unit with all the fruit optioned.

Cheers
Greg

MrLuminous
08-06-2004, 03:34 PM
hey
there is a guy in my club CHGFC that has a trailcraft i think it is 5.8 metres and only has a 90 hp four-stroke Honda
He said it beats the hell out of his old 18ft cat and wouldnt go back.
i love the look of the Trailcraft but a bit to pricy for my liking
Myself and my dad looked at a 6 mtr 4 seasons cntre cab, fully rigged with a choice of a couple of 90hp brands for $39990, nice boat that you could still walk around
But now we decided to refurbish a 6.3 mtr Marlin Broadbill cat
Anyway
Good Luck and if you do buy a trailcraft please leave a picture on the site
CHeers TIGHT lines
Martin
MrLuminous

Whiley_Whiting
09-06-2004, 11:47 AM
Thanks for replies..

I have seen the JBS centre cab not only in the F&B magazines some time ago now but also at the Brisbane boat show - they are a nice boat and would require those personal touches which may take you me to the $$ required to purchase the trailcraft however an inquiry will be made to them to get an idea how each little alteration costs.

Mainly when I go away for the weekend I throw a tent in and camp on the beach so I am not really interested in sleeping in the cabin it would be mainly used to store gear when out for the day and keep camping gear dry when on the trip up to the island.

Mr Luminous - what speed / fule consumption does you mate get out of the 90 honda on the trailcraft and what does the CH stand for in CHGFC?

Thunderbird
09-06-2004, 03:25 PM
Mr witing
Have a 5.8 Fisher and is a great boat with a top hull that performs fantasticaly in the rough stuff while cruising. With a 115 yammy 4 stroke and a prop change (solas) we get about 65kms out of it which we hardly would use on a rough day out anyway! but more is always good. a 150 will be going on the back nextime :D
Have a mate who just purchased a 5.5 trail and have been on a trip with him, and got to say they are finished off very nicely and the boat fished very stable but somewhat impractical.
As far as a fishing boat went.
There was no room to carry anchors, apart from in the anchor well.
Only one battery.
No decklight.
Limited fuel(120l)but i have heard the 5.8 has much more.
Were not able to take seats in and out(there welded to stay)
No shelf under the bait board to store pliars, knife sharpener,choppingboard(there's is a fixed nylon board),and the tray that was under the baitboard looked very flimsy.

Hope i gave you some things to think about or at least talk about to the person that you'r getting this boat off.
Good luck with your selection.
The roota!

Outsider
26-06-2004, 03:27 PM
Also noticed with interest that the review in the July issue of Trailer Boat doesn't mention that at 2.55m beam, it's illegal to tow without all the associated oversize permits and signage - not to mention the insurance issues if you stacked it.

Will be interesting to see how long certain dealers will falsely advertise it as having:
„h HUGE 2.50M BEAM - "accidentally".

All up it's a great pity that such a good looking, and by all accounts excellent performing boat is just too overpriced and "annoying" to be fun...and isn't that why we do it...

MrLuminous
30-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Your lucky day, Found an article on the 5.8 metre Trailcraft
http://boatpoint.ninemsn.com.au/reviews/BoatTestMain.asp?ID=119123
copy n paste into your browser
Enjoy
Cheers
Martin

Whiley_Whiting
03-07-2004, 09:17 AM
Read the report on boatpoint and its a good review, consistent with other reports such as the one Gary Howard did a few months back in QFM. Thanks for the link and if anyone has any good / bad stories let me know.

Outsider
03-07-2004, 12:23 PM
I've heard through the grapevine that Trailcraft are rejigging the 5.8m Cetrecab to be under the 2.50m max trailerable beam limit. Of course Trailcraft and all their QLD dealers don't want to talk about it, failing to respond to any enquiries.

So my advice is to wait until the new "batch" ar released and save yourself any possible dramas down the line.

On the flip side, after 4 months of research, thousands of magazines and webpages, heaps of calls and emails and lot's of time and effort wading through the dealer and manufacturer crap I have finally put a deposit on a 5.5m (6.2m LOA) Fisher Boat from Bribie Is.

With all the fruit, a builder who actually wanted to talk to me and took 2 hours showing me round the workshop, and a hull, ride and fitout that everyone raves about, for less than a mass produced rig the choice was pretty easy in the end.

If only I didn't have to wait...

Whiley_Whiting
06-07-2004, 06:39 AM
Outsider, thanks for the info..

Can you go into a little more details on the boat you have placed an order for. Ie fitout, outboard, approx costs etc..

I am in the process of talking to a number of dealers trying to determine value for money what is going to be the best option.

Cheers