PDA

View Full Version : Servicing my Yammie 40

Burley_Boy
06-07-2004, 05:51 PM
I have a great little 40HP Yamaha 3cyl oil injected 2 stroke. Have totally lost faith in my local Gold Coast dealers as they just took a wad of money off me a couple of years ago replacing all sorts of electronics when in fact the problem was water in the fuel.
I stripped down the carbies 2 x and did a thorough clean out of the fuel system and never had a problem since.
Now I'd like to know what sort of servicing I should be doing on the engine (impeller is fine) I just tend to replace or clean the spark plugs every so often.

What should I be servicing and how often. Feels like there is no point asking the local "pros" who seemed either incompetent or just slack.

aido
06-07-2004, 06:43 PM
good on ya burley boy.
some people get a degree of satisfaction doing
their own work. at least you know if you bugger
it up, pro's are less likely to say so.

definately get a service manual for your motor,
(local library sometimes have them) and study it
carefully. thats a start.

i'd say greasing is best done every few trips, leg oil
level and spark plug check every 6 months.

yearly, change the oil, plugs and water pump.
oh, have a look at your thermostat too, ;D

here's the yamaha guide
http://www.users.tpg.com.au/adessaix/100hr.jpg

Burley_Boy
07-07-2004, 07:29 AM
Thanks mate,
Yep I've found that a pro in most areas is only any good if they give a damn! Too often I meet tradesmen who don't and I end up informing myself until you end up doing a better job yourself. I'm plenty busy enough not to do this but if you can't trust the "pros" then what do you do.

dazza
07-07-2004, 11:33 AM
it is a bit of a worry.
in my local area there are 3 outboard mechanics. they are all flat out busy. the only problem is they aren't interested if something turns out to be a bit difficult. these guy's charge a fortune, because they are so called qualified tradesmen. they have got enough work changing oil and sparkplugs
i know 3/4 of bugger all when it comes to motors, but i am happy to do my oil and plug changes, a mate showed me how to do the impellor- pretty easy when you know how.
the time they charge out is a bit of a worry. a mug amature like me can do exactly the same service in half the time ??? ??? good fun doing it yourself as well, money saved
can be spent on fishing gear ;D ;D
cheers
dazza