PDA

View Full Version : Storage advice required.

HAZ
13-07-2004, 12:12 PM
Hi Guys,
I need to do some repairs to my trailer and need to 'drop' my 4.5m Fiberglass boat off onto something safe. Mates have suggested tyres but once it is on them how hard is it to winch it back on to the trailer ? I've even considered buying polystyrene blocks to use. Any advice would be great.
Thanks
HAZ.

DR
13-07-2004, 12:57 PM
i dropped my old seafarer VC onto tyres, i used old 4WD.
it went back on pretty easily, basically the boat stayed where it was and the trailer was winched under it.
i lifted the draw bar as high as posspushed the rear of the trailerunder the nose of the boat & stood on a stepladder to get it started as it came up on trailer the draw bar dropped down. just kept moving tyres out of way of trailer wheels.
Cheers

vertico
13-07-2004, 01:02 PM
I just dropped my tinny on the concrete :-X
try that with your fibreglass :) ;D
nah truck tyres / tubes should do the job

MTpockets
13-07-2004, 01:06 PM
If the trailor is hinged, it wont be a problem. If not the hard part is winching from the top of a step ladder, but easy enough, you wont have too many problems using tyres :)
cheers
Les
PS... Now is a good time to replace the winch wire if its rusty cos you will be pulling in a dead weight, just a suggestion.

dnej
13-07-2004, 01:18 PM
Use the tyres, and put them two high at the stern, and single under the keel. Grab some plastic 20 litre drums, the closed ones with screw on lids ,lay them on their side, and push them under the bottom as it comes off. This will keep it upright. I tie my boat to a tree by the stern, and drive off slowly. Works a treat.
Getting it on again is no big deal. Dont let it phase you, its not a hard as you might think, but the plastic drums are the answer. I half fill them with water.
Good luck
David

blaze
13-07-2004, 02:22 PM
I just tilt the trailer and drop it off on the lawn (maybe city people dont know, but its made of grass), and reverse the procedure when putting back on while slowly reversing the vechile
cheers
blaze

Cloud_9
13-07-2004, 03:05 PM
had Cloud 9 off the trailer a few times for different resons but grass is fine , while boat is hooked to car leave winch attached push off with tyre under if no grass, once bum on tyre slowly drive car out from under boat while someone puts more tyres under 4 is all u need 2 for keel + 1 each side to stop tipping side ways.
wind trailer under boat to put back on simple

Cheers Cloud 9

CHRIS_aka_GWH
13-07-2004, 03:18 PM
get one of those big inflatable pools you see at K-Mart and ....

nah that won't work. :-/

HAZ
13-07-2004, 05:53 PM
My neighbour has a nice inground pool, but I figure he may be pissed when he comes home and finds my boat in it. DOH !
Thanks for the advice guys.......... and the good laugh ! I think I'll give the tyres a go.
Best regards,
HAZ. [smiley=laugh.gif]

dnej
14-07-2004, 06:34 AM
Hey Haz, dont forget those 20 litre plastic drums, they are much better than tyres to keep the boat up straight.Heaps of these are thrown away each week.
Regards David

HAZ
14-07-2004, 06:57 AM
Hi David,
I've just got some plastic drums from work so i'll give it a go this weekend.
Thanks for the info.
Regards,
Harry. :)