PDA

View Full Version : Where NOT to go

Jeremy
26-02-2003, 03:38 AM
I had a 40 hp yamaha 2 stroke outboard and new cable steering fitted to my boat in January by a dealer close to the Brisbane CBD. I was very dissapointed with the quality of the work carried out, which I was paying around $800 for fitting of the motor and steering.

The salesperson made several promises he did not keep, I had to bring the boat back to them 3 times to get the steering fitted the way I had asked for, they made up some story about me accusing them of stealing fuel from my boat, and now they have called me to tell me they have the tilt lock pin from my motor in the workshop.

I will never be going back there and am looking for somewhere honest and reliable to service my motor in the future. I live in the inner Western suburbs of Brisbane, but I am prepared to travel if necessary. Any reccomendations?

If you want to know, I will tell you the name of this dealership privately, but you should be able to work it out from the info in the message.

Jeremy

mackmauler
26-02-2003, 05:45 AM
If its the one im thinking of you have joined a long list Jeremy ;)

Rob

skippa
26-02-2003, 06:30 AM
Jeremy,

Yep, its hard to find somewhere and someone reliable these days, (some) people just don't seem to care.

(some) businesses don't realise the real value of good service, and the value of 'word of mouth' (priceless), positive or negative and the damage or improvement it can have on their business.

The simple rule of good customer service is: Look after your customers, and they will look after you! (by keep coming back)

I have recieved good service from, Springwood Marine, Leisure Marine and Wynnum Marine. I am not connected to any of these dealers, just happy with the service I've recieved.

Good luck in finding a dealer you can trust.

Cheers,
Skippa 8)

Ron_Collins
26-02-2003, 07:02 AM
Hi Jeremy

As a recent past president of the Boating Industry Association of Queensland I was very disappointed to read of your problems.

I know that this may sound like a pain in the butt, but I'd like you to write to the BIAQ and outline your situation. If we're thinking about the same place, there is a growing list of similar complaints that needs to be knocked right on the head. Your input should make a difference for you and others in the future.

Please give it a go and let me know if you were satisfied with the response. Ron Collins.

Disclosure: BNB Fishing's punt-style 4.0m tinnie is powered by a 20hp Yamaha, which we paid to have supplied and fitted, just like anyone else.

Jeremy
26-02-2003, 07:45 AM
Dear Ron,

thank you for your reply. I will be happy to write to the BIAQ, although I haven't yet as I assumed like many other similar bodies, they would take the side of their members and dismiss my complaint.

I will let Ausfish embers know what the BIAQ response is and what happens from there.

NB. I have written a letter to the manager of the dealership I went to about 2 weeks ago as he has been away on hollidays while most of this was going on. He has not yet replied.

Jeremy

blaze
26-02-2003, 05:34 PM
Hi all
yes the complaints of boat dealer come from all over Aust. I decided to give a new business in my town my support, most things were good until i ordered a gearbox seal that i thought to be about $10, they rung next day (exelelent sevice) but the price $32, it was also wrong (all serial No supplied + seal No, so I returned it and got one from a dealer 80k away for $10 (luck happened with mate going that way). Makes you wonder why you try and support some local business. I also run a small business
cheers from Tassie
Blaze

rick k
26-02-2003, 06:20 PM
I rang Holt Marine (on South Pine Road?) in relation to my floppy armature plate problem.

The advice he gave me was spot on.

Its nice to have a positive experience.

clutter
26-02-2003, 06:23 PM
Might not hurt contacting Yamaha as well on 33990888. I'm sure they would not appreciate their good name being damaged by shoddy service from one of their dealers.

Give Harry at Holt Marine in Everton Hills a go for service. I have used him many times in the past and have had good service.

Cheers, Clutter.

Jeremy
27-02-2003, 03:27 AM
Mackmauler,

It probably is the dealer you are thinking of. Several of the people who have responded privately have said they have a bad reputation. I would be interested in hearing what you know or have heard about them too (privately).

Clutter,

thanks for the reccomendation. Yatala Yamaha has also been reccomended to me, but Everton Hills is a bit closer.

Cheers,

Jeremy

Jack_Lives_Here
27-02-2003, 03:57 AM
I have my yammy serviced by Sundown Marine at Redcliffe, only because that's were I bought my rig.

Had dealings with Holt when I had a Merc - very helpful. The merc was having some carby diaphram issues and they persisted and got it right for me.

MICHAELG
27-02-2003, 06:07 AM
Hi All

I also had a bad time with them. Had my motor rebuilt there and after 1 trip it blew again. They ended up fixing it for free due to their shoddy work. They claimed who ever did the head machining made the bore to small.

Michael

Big_Kev
27-02-2003, 01:42 PM
I can give my recommendation to Wynnum Marine,I am not connected with them in any way,but have been more than impressed with the service,and support I have received in the short time I have been dealing with them,and they are always my first point of call .
Hope this helps you to have better luck next time . Reel Hard

davo
11-03-2003, 03:57 PM
I've had dealings with a particular bayside Yamaha dealer. My 60hp 4 stroke ran like a mongrel dog after the 10 hr service. When I came to pick it up the bloke was screwing at the cabs while the motor was barely running. NO VACUUM GAUGES in site to set the multi cabs up. Went to Yatala Yamaha as we've had good service prior when we lived in the area. The mechanic said that it was miles out of tune, and they have all the gear. Could be worse, I could still have that terrible 75hp Mariner.

rick k
11-03-2003, 06:02 PM
Jack lives here/Dave,

Carbie diaphragm problems are one of those often attributed to ethanol in fuel.

Just something to think about.

Maybe we should ask the cane farmers and others who want ethanol in fuel to subsidise our motor maintenance and purchases.

Jeremy
12-03-2003, 10:24 AM
Just an update....

I have written to BIAQ as suggested as they have contacted the dealership in question and asked them to try to resolve the issue with me. I was not at all satisfied with the response I received from the dealership, and wrote again to BIAQ. They have then informed me that they have no power to do anything and certainly cannot expel the dealership from the BIAQ. So this is where it will end. I have received poor workmanship and service from this dealership, they don't care and I will never be going back there.

I will be VERY HAPPY to advise anyone wanting to know the name of the dealership privately.

Jeremy

Ron_Collins
12-03-2003, 10:00 PM
Hi Jeremy

Would you please privately forward me copies of your letter to the BIAQ and their reply so I can take this up on your behalf.

The bottom line is that BIAQ members who don't comply with the Association's code of ethics can have action taken against them. In fact there is a current television ad campaign urging people to only deal with a BIAQ member because the code of ethics gives them a level of security and consumer protection.

A mistake has been made and I want to find out by whom, why and what will be done about your complaint.

Don't give up yet, and please let me know the dealer's name when you reply privately. Ron Collins.

Jeremy
13-03-2003, 02:56 AM
Dear Ron,

I have seen the TV adds you are talking about. I would be very happy to pass on all relevant details to you to see if something can be done. I will contact you privately.

Jeremy

clutter
13-03-2003, 05:55 PM
Jeremy and Ron,

If its possible, could you please keep us posted as to developments in regard to this topic. While we don't need to know the name of the business, most can guess by the sounds of it, I for one would like to know the outcome given the said campaign by the BIAQ.

Cheers, Clutter.

Ron_Collins
14-03-2003, 09:17 AM
Hey Clutter

No problem. We'll keep all members up to date on major developments, with discretion. Ron Collins.

Jeremy
25-03-2003, 03:04 AM
For anyone following this thread, there is a bit of an update. The last two trips I made outside, I ended up with alot of water under the floor (maybe 200 litres). I finally found the leak on Saturday - from the 2 lower bolts which secure the outboard to the transom. Very significant leak and below the waterline at rest.

I removed all the silicone and re-did the bolts with some sikaflex and will test it again before I go out again next time.

Just another in my long list of complaints about shoddy workmanship by this dealer.

Jeremy

adrian
30-03-2003, 04:26 AM
hi gang
it's been awhile if you are willing to travel or maybe you can get mates together the guy i use lives on the sunshine coast . i know its a pain but he is also moblie and does come down to brissie alot the price is fair and you can see him work on your boat and ask questions at the same time . if you want it just email adrian@ausfish and i'll get his number for anyone who wants it

Jeremy
11-04-2003, 09:55 AM
To all following this thread -

I contacted Yamaha in Sydney about 2 weeks ago and gave them details of my problems with the dealership. I received their reply this week which was very promising. They took me seriously and said they will be looking into this issue and to see if other similar problems have occured there in the past. At the very least, the issues I have had have been registered with Yamaha, and any future problems at this dealership reported to Yamaha will add weight.

Yipee!

Jeremy

Heath
11-04-2003, 05:22 PM
At least you got a reply from Yamaha. I never heard anything from them, when I contacted them about my issue with the dealership.

Ron_Collins
12-04-2003, 09:28 AM
Hi All

It's still work in progress at my end, as Jeremy knows. At the moment am still a bit too crook to go any faster.

Considering his initial reply, I think it would be best for me to wait to see what their next response, rather than going off the deep end, especially if they have some good news. Ron Collins.

sharkbait
22-04-2003, 06:56 AM
I have been away but have read through this post and had similar problems getting my new yammie set up (about 8 months ago) and also with the crap told to me by the salesman. I am still straightening out the problems with my rig now. If it is the same dealer I will also write to the BIAQ because I feel that they took advantage of the fact that I am only young and was buying my first boat - dodgy workmanship on the wiring and 10hr service aside.

Jeremy
25-04-2003, 02:56 AM
Sharkbait,

I would urge you to write to BIAQ and Yamaha Australia describing your experience. The more complaints they get, the more likely something is to happen.

Jeremy

ba229
15-07-2004, 01:46 PM
WHOOSH

WOW that was a trip back in the time machine :-)

This was one of the first posts I followed when I first joined Ausfish.

What ever happened with this matter?

And what happened to Ron Collins? (I noted in one of his posts he remarked of not feeling well. Is he ok?)

Burley_Boy
15-07-2004, 02:04 PM
Anyone know a quality Yamaha dealer on the Gold Coast?

blaze
15-07-2004, 02:35 PM
hi ba229
sadly ron has passed away and i still remember his informative posts what a guy
heres thinkin of ya ron

ba229
15-07-2004, 02:50 PM
Thats sad to hear. I remember when I first came here he was a wealth of knowledge and a man to be impressed of.

snappa
15-07-2004, 07:05 PM
hi
i had the same problem with a dealer when they mounted the motors.
the hulls would fill up with water
the bottom holes were not sealed correctly
these dealers ???
do they realise when we pick up the boat and head offshore they are playing with our safety
that goodness they do not trade any more but the mech. has gone to a dealer at redcliffe
thats all i will say??
we are all paying good money for a job that we have to check after

Jeremy
16-07-2004, 04:59 AM
Nothing happened to the dealer in question. Never been back there and if anyone asks I'll tall them not to go there.

I have been going to Yatala Yamaha since and have found them to be honest and reliable and good to deal with.

Jeremy