PDA

View Full Version : Re-painting Aluminium Boats

Abalone_4.9
15-07-2004, 01:23 PM
Hi guys,
I've just purchased an Ally boat which is in desperate need of a lick of paint.
The current external coat is fair in some places and peeling and 'powdery' in others.
Is stripping back to bare Ally required or can we get away with just prepping and recoating ??
Any thoughts ???
Cheers
Lee

Thunderbird
15-07-2004, 02:15 PM
Lee depends on what sort of job you want. You can paint it with a shaggy roller in house paint if want :D
If i was going to do a full repaint i'd strip the boat of everythimg take it back to bare and use a 2pack hifill solid primer to start with sand that smooth with 800 grit wet and dry then 2 coats of colour over the top.

blaze
15-07-2004, 02:27 PM
maybe you could look at beadblasting, not as harsh as sandblasting, i have only read about it though. Do a google on it.
If all the old paint was removed you will get a better finish, as the finish is only as good as the prep work done
cheers
blaze

Abalone_4.9
15-07-2004, 05:43 PM
Cheers guys,
I think I might get some more use out of it, save up and do a proper job.
Thanks Lee

drb
16-07-2004, 04:29 AM
When painting aluminium we used to always use an "etch primer"over the bare aluminum areas to make sure the paint stuck. Not sure if the more modern paints need this but its something to keep in mind

vertico
16-07-2004, 12:07 PM
I heard you can rough up all the paint
then use etch primer on alot of parts where pain had been worn away
then respray over the top

mackmauler
16-07-2004, 12:16 PM
cheaper and easy on maintainance is just go for a few muddy trips and run into banks in the feeders, get nice natural colour along the sides of the boat, look for the job on mine in future pics :D

Zeeke
17-07-2004, 02:16 PM
got a boat in my backyard that is waiting for a lick of paint, total of about 4 days prepping it, and sanding it, the finish is pretty smooth.. but if ya go bare alloy, remember when putting the etch primer on.. less is best.. ... ive gotta do my own boat soon, the paint is flaking badly, and it'll get done sometime this year....

Tim